BillBelew.com
BloggingSEO

How to get a blog post indexed by Google2606

Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
Huffpo just recently just recently changed the blogger platform and from what I've learned the blogs are no longer "indexed" on Google. So, apparently unless you go directly

I don't understand what this means, but it is a problem
us. Supposedly there is a way to fix this.

Anyone?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forgot to add I'm a "Signature" blogger for Huffo and have been writing for them since 2009. Never had this problem before. They changed their platform and it's causing a real problem for us "Backstage Bloggers." You can't find our blogs doing a Google search any longer. You have to know the specific article.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Site admin failed to 301 redirect the posts from the old site?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@rev

Here is the URL that we get trying to do a Google search:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-nose-job-takes-a-giant-leap-in-new-technology_us_59330e1fe4b0649fff2119ac

Here is the actual post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-nose-job-takes-a-giant-leap-in-new-technology_us_59334097e4b0649fff2119d7
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

I'm obviously not on the inside so I can't get the whole picture but, from what I do see, it looks like they made a real noob mistake when they migrated the site. Ouch!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Frankly, I'm very surprised HuffPost would make this gross error. It's sloppy, and unprofessional. I would fire anyone working for me who should such a lack of knowledge and craft.

Google seems to be still seeing the original link as the prime source and the new link as duplicate content. This is serious, but it will correct itself in time, maybe a couple of months, maybe less.

A 301 redirect would correct it almost immediately (hours at most).
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev It's really a problem for all the thousand bloggers that write for free as we get a huge amount of visibility for them and for us!

They are aware but appear to make it our problem, not theirs. So with this issue, we are not so inspired to write for them if the only people who see it are the writers.

Geeeez.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
That's one of the fears I have had about creating content on real estate I don't control! Do you still own your content?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang. Yes. We own the content and can publish elsewhere. It was a great gig and except for my own post, I don't write for free, but Huffpo was my exception.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
It might be time to find a new outlet Have you tried medium? I've heard great things about it (although I haven't done my due diligence yet).
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler

Sadly, I have heard this song and dance by <insert organization> and Google before. Too many times before.

Move on ... add the experience of having been there and done that for HuffPo, and build on it. Better yet, build your own platform.

Let us help you do that well.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@belew @KathrynLang

I agree I'm going to have to move on. The good thing about having a Huffpo audience is that I got some very well paying clients via the platform. It isn't easy getting a blog gig with them as you have to apply, etc.

Medium does not give me the same cache, but, it appears the ride is over and I'll need to say goodbye unless they fix this. It isn't like they don't know about, but that they just don't care.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Build smth of your own that is so cool ppl will want to contribute to your platform.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Belew: By "build smith" you are talking about upgrading and creating a more compelling blog that will get attention?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@gspieler building smith - building smth = building something.

Yes.. build you own blog/site.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
29147 15 15
destitute