BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingInspirationNewbiePublic Speaking

Getting Paid to Publish Short Stories2626

Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
My first short story was published this morning. They made good use of my pics also. I'm stoked to see it (and get paid for it) Thought I would share it here. Keep at it,it feels like this has taken a long time....:-)

A Wicked Winter Night
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan

Woohoo!! Thanks for sharing! We love success stories.

I am headed over to give it a good read ... and offer feedback if they will let us.

Well done!!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@jmolan

Woohoo!! Thanks for sharing! We love success stories.

I am headed over to give it a good read ... and offer feedback if they will let us.

Well done!!

It looks like they know what they are doing, there are links to share also...(if you please)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations! I just finished reading the piece. Your photos were incredible. I live in the south and it's blazing here today. Your story and pics cooled me off. Thank you. If you ever want a beta reader, let me know. I would be honored to be fresh eyes for your works.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthoughts
Your story and pics cooled me off

They didn't cool me off as much as they scared me.

I did a lot of sailing in the US Navy. We stayed away from this kind of weather. 8-)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

I shared on FB ... but the Twitter share button is not working.

You might want to let them know.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I tried to post off the page to Twitter. I see it posted, but the link did not work. Is that what you found?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

Yes. Didn't go thru. Got a "smth wrong here" type msg.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Congratulations! I just finished reading the piece. Your photos were incredible. I live in the south and it's blazing here today. Your story and pics cooled me off. Thank you. If you ever want a beta reader, let me know. I would be honored to be fresh eyes for your works.

Awesome Jules, I have so much to learn. This sounds great, what is a beta reader? I'm learning as I go.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
A beta reader is typically someone who reads your work, either in rough draft or polished form. The offer opinions on whether is a piece that works or needs rewriting, They look for inconstancies, (Such as cold weather on page 1 that suddenly gets warm on page 15, eyes that change from blue in the introduction to eyes that become brown half way through the piece. Some people will charge to be a beta reader. I think that is wrong. Beta readers should be willing to help other writers for free. I know my pieces always improve when I have fresh eyes read them. The person I use for a beta is an avid reader who is a very detailed oriented person. I send her rough drafts and she looks for inconstancies, loose ends, tells me if a twist was too obvious from a reader perspective, and in general whether I should continue to work on it or put it away and flesh it out more before I rework it. I have found mine to be very helpful.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

Do you write as well?

What do you write about? Long- short-form?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@jules
Wow that sounds awesome Jules, you just listed all the mistakes I constantly make....:-) I am working on as series of 8-10 short stories like this for a small book I can offer when I'm public speaking.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

Short stories are chapters ... chapters add up to books.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I am a writer. Currently, I write a monthly devotional column for an online writing school. Soon I can add the word author to my credits, as my debut fiction work will be released, God willing, on August 31, 2017. I have several published short stories and articles as well.

The mistakes you claim are ones all writers make. I myself made every mistake known to the writing world and then created some new ones. Writing is hard work but so emotionally rewarding when you get it right.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew
Yes, I actually have a novel almost done, but need to make a small book we can get done in time. Hopefully finish the novel this winter. Short clip from upcoming book.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

How about a 'video - book?'
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

What level will this be written for?

My 9-year old loves loves the Warrior Series (Cats). I can see her falling for this as well?

Great video!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

Do you have a link to your column in your profile? <= to get to your profile page
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Excellent video clip. Videography was extraordinary. Your use of the word clan and the the names which are old Norse sounding put me in the mindset of a Celtic work. Interesting the way you see Nature. I am a second gen Irish, combined with Arapahoe blood. My paternal grand was full blooded, so nature is very important to me. I love when people especially writers are able to use it in a storyline.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@julesthoughts

Do you have a link to your column in your profile? <= to get to your profile page

NO.....uh....no
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Excellent video clip. Videography was extraordinary. Your use of the word clan and the the names which are old Norse sounding put me in the mindset of a Celtic work. Interesting the way you see Nature. I am a second gen Irish, combined with Arapahoe blood. My paternal grand was full blooded, so nature is very important to me. I love when people especially writers are able to use it in a storyline.

Every name in the book is an actual island name in the Aleutian Chain. The clan thing...after years of watching the eagles (there are so many) I came to believe they had their groups going on.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

If you need a 9-year old beta reader ... I know an avid reader that will do it for you.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Belew, I was told the genre appeals to kids as fantasy, but is also adult, so yes, we will have to keep her in mind as it wraps up.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Quote:

Jules my daughter loves to do editing. It was her idea.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@jmolan woohoo!!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
She did a great job.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Belew
The column is called point to ponder and it is written for Creative Writing Institute, which is an online school. If you google them you should be able to find their website then look for the newsletters. That's where the column is published. When I get enough guts to create my author page, I'll post a link to it where the first chapter on What Hides Beneath will be posted and maybe a few of the previously published short stories that I own the rights to again.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Quote:
When I get enough guts

That you would say this surprises me. Of course, I do not know you ... but I do know that little blue button does not require courage or 'guts' to push.

How can I encourage you enough to go ahead and hit the button. Put yourself 'out there.' We know what will happen if we don't try ... all of that sort of thing.

In these short exchanges I find you personable, caring, giving ... who would not want to know more.

Go ahead. Hit the publish button. If you don't feel as if you have the 'guts' you can borrow, use mine.

I look forward to reading more.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Thank you for offering me your button. I'm not sure I can push it yet. I know I have to put myself out there so to speak. I know I need to do an author page, and I have to put myself on the publishers FaceBook page also. It sounds so simple, just pushing buttons, writing, in essence, I'm selling myself, my work, to the world. It may be an easy thing for an extrovert who is use to getting praise. I'm an extreme introvert when it comes to discussing me. I grew up hearing words such as fat, ugly, lazy, stupid, worthless. They were served to me by my mother and stepfather. My ex-husband helped keep my self- esteem in check by reminding me if I had been smart, I would have been an engineer, I would have gone to a private college, I should be thankful someone as wonderful as he wanted me to his servant. His friends and colleagues were told not to speak in long sentences and speak. words more than two syllables long if necessary because I may not understand what they were saying. When my manuscript was picked up by a publisher, I was in shock. I still am amazed that this is happening to me. Very few friends know that in a few weeks, something crafted by me will be out in the world for others to experience. So yes, while I know my time is running out on doing this self- publicity, I still am getting panic attacks when I think about what I need to do now. I have taken the first step by studying other writer's pages to see if I can grasp what makes a good one and how much do I really have to reveal about me. If you have any extra guts, then please send them my way. The Wheaties I've been eating isn't working like I thought they would.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

It's your call to be sure.

We here, I, am on your side.

The biggest come back to those who say you can't is to show that you can. One step at a time.

I am pulling for you.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28176 39 30
destitute