BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingInspirationNewbiePublic Speaking

Getting Paid to Publish Short Stories2626

Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
She did a great job.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Belew
The column is called point to ponder and it is written for Creative Writing Institute, which is an online school. If you google them you should be able to find their website then look for the newsletters. That's where the column is published. When I get enough guts to create my author page, I'll post a link to it where the first chapter on What Hides Beneath will be posted and maybe a few of the previously published short stories that I own the rights to again.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthoughts
When I get enough guts

That you would say this surprises me. Of course, I do not know you ... but I do know that little blue button does not require courage or 'guts' to push.

How can I encourage you enough to go ahead and hit the button. Put yourself 'out there.' We know what will happen if we don't try ... all of that sort of thing.

In these short exchanges I find you personable, caring, giving ... who would not want to know more.

Go ahead. Hit the publish button. If you don't feel as if you have the 'guts' you can borrow, use mine.

I look forward to reading more.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Thank you for offering me your button. I'm not sure I can push it yet. I know I have to put myself out there so to speak. I know I need to do an author page, and I have to put myself on the publishers FaceBook page also. It sounds so simple, just pushing buttons, writing, in essence, I'm selling myself, my work, to the world. It may be an easy thing for an extrovert who is use to getting praise. I'm an extreme introvert when it comes to discussing me. I grew up hearing words such as fat, ugly, lazy, stupid, worthless. They were served to me by my mother and stepfather. My ex-husband helped keep my self- esteem in check by reminding me if I had been smart, I would have been an engineer, I would have gone to a private college, I should be thankful someone as wonderful as he wanted me to his servant. His friends and colleagues were told not to speak in long sentences and speak. words more than two syllables long if necessary because I may not understand what they were saying. When my manuscript was picked up by a publisher, I was in shock. I still am amazed that this is happening to me. Very few friends know that in a few weeks, something crafted by me will be out in the world for others to experience. So yes, while I know my time is running out on doing this self- publicity, I still am getting panic attacks when I think about what I need to do now. I have taken the first step by studying other writer's pages to see if I can grasp what makes a good one and how much do I really have to reveal about me. If you have any extra guts, then please send them my way. The Wheaties I've been eating isn't working like I thought they would.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

It's your call to be sure.

We here, I, am on your side.

The biggest come back to those who say you can't is to show that you can. One step at a time.

I am pulling for you.
Post 30 • IP   flag post

A very big thank you. That is true, and in some ways how I lived my life. I went to a very good public university where I earned three BA's in 4 years. I also worked and paid for my education. I hold one Masters degree and am working towards another one. Part of me wants this book to be a bestseller just so my ex has to eat his words. The part that faces reality knows if it becomes a best seller, he'll want to sue me to give him credit.
I did just look at how to do an author page for Goodreads so I guess you're positive thoughts and energy are awaking my courage. Thanks again
Post 31 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts revenge or to prove yourself to others are poor motivators. And the joy just isn't there when you think it ought to be.

Do the right thing because it's the right thing. Don't wish to be a best seller. Wish rather that your book will resonate well with those who need it most. Everything else will fall into place.

Look at the person in the mirror and when that person says in all honesty, 'You did well today.' Youll sleep well and tomorrow will hold a lot of promise.
Post 32 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
You go girl, your dreams are just the other side of your fears, we all got em' we have to push through them
Post 33 • IP   flag post
I would love to dispute the wisdom in your words but I know you are right. I also know that the feelings expressed by me are just a way to release some of the anger caused in me by the prolonged divorce.
But your words were needed. They have recentered me and that will help me get my mind straight so that I can start dissecting other sites and begin the process of getting mine ready for the world.
Post 34 • IP   flag post
Just an update for you (I'm assuming you care) I ate a box of Wheaties to muscle up my courage and updated my old website that I had not been on in over a year, created a Facebook author page that I have not (purposely) sent out invitations to like yet. I'm waiting to get a photo of the book's cover to post then I'll be inviting everyone to like me. I went on Goodreads to do an author page but can't because I need the books ISBN first. So I am coming out to the world so to speak and yes, it still scary as hell to me to be in the public eye but surprisingly not as terrifying as it was before I started making the effort. Thank you guys for encouraging me to get this done and get over my introverted self. I needed that kick in the butt but also the nice encouraging words as well.
Post 35 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

Good for you! Yes, I do care.

How abt putting links to your online presence in your profile here? I'd like to come take a look.
Post 36 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Breaking free from the past will open so much of life to you. Trust me, it is worth doing whatever you need to do and banish those negative voices haunting you.
Post 37 • IP   flag post
Now you get to see my computer inept side. I'm not sure how to post links! .
So I'll give you places/names to search.

@julielcanfield/twitter
jlcanfieldsrandomthoughts.com (wordpress)
aboutme/jlcanfield
@jlcanfieldauthor (facebook author page)

If anyone wants to instruct me on how to post links, I'll be happy to be taught.
Post 38 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Jules, if you take any word like HERE Highlight that word, click on link in the menu bar just above your posting. Enter the URL, I just copy and paste it in, and wall ah! You can have it link to anything.
Post 39 • IP   flag post
29624 39 14
destitute