BillBelew.com
marketing

Let's Discuss... The Psychology of Marketing2631

Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Bill mentioned that we have several new members to the forum. I thought it might be fun to throw out a topic or two to get some conversations started. So I've chosen the psychological side of selling. How to persuade and convert.

I'm going to write about this topic in the next week. I'll share any good resources I come across.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Is marketing meant to persuade?

I thought the purpose of marketing was to inform.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Well, let's add that question to the discussion!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
Is marketing meant to persuade?

I thought the purpose of marketing was to inform.

Marketing.....The best sales guy I ever knew said "You just have to get them to image how nice it would be to have it"

I would contend marketing is like a good story. People say "Oh I felt like I was right there with them"

How about, "oh man if I had that software/laptop/phone I could just see how much easier this would be"

A little info is good, too much info will bog down a story, leave some mystery, but jack up the excitement, or energy.

Marketing has to be emotional right? I bet a car buy is the biggest emotional buy out there....
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@TParker I believe that Marketing any product or service is changing from the traditional 'push strategy' eg. a snake oil salesman to a 'pull strategy' eg. writing a book as a lead into your marketing strategy creating a magnet effect on the potential customers.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Ah, the great Inbound vs Outbound debate. : )
I am a pull strategy writer. But I still see lots of push strategy out there. Even in pull strategy though, psychology plays a role. Use of color, choice of images, social proof...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@TParker How do you see branding fitting into marketing?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I think for businesses and individuals branding is a part of determining your unique value proposition. I have been working on finding mine over this past year. I have finally started to narrow it down.

Once you know "who" you are and what your message is, then branding is what anchors that in consumers' minds. I would like to think that most people who work with me would describe me in similar terms. That description then becomes my personal brand.

According to the gurus I've been quoting in articles, marketing is undergoing some pretty big disruptions right now. I think many agencies were caught off guard by the rate at which digital and inbound has overtaken traditional marketing. It is an exciting time to be in marketing because you may have the chance to create some real innovations.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I just did a live stream presentation on inbound marketing strategies for a facebook group last week and there were over 60 comments during and immediately after the live session (all good and mostly with questions). The replay got almost 280 views in the next 24 hours. Those are pretty good numbers, I think. I find the subject regularly gets a lot of traction. People really are looking for a kinder, gentler, more spiritual or heart-centered way.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member FrugalTravelsNepal private msg quote post Address this user
I worked as an ad rep. for a time and I learned that if the person likes you they will buy. If they don't like you, if you remind them of their annoying cousin they will never buy from you-no matter what.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Is this presentation still available?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
Is this presentation still available?

Yes, but it's a private group with controlled access. Let me see if I can find a copy for you.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29426 12 12
destitute