BillBelew.com
Blogging

Power of a blog ... data.2644

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
GoDaddy says, "Data shows that businesses with active blogs have 55-percent more website visitors."
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
My evidence is anecdotal, but I have seen an uptick in demand for quality writing services. I am working with 3 different digital marketing agencies who want to be able to provide content production as part of their services. This time last year, the content was a "nice extra." Now, it is a "must have."
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew What do they determine as "active" blogs?

Is the traffic solely organic?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@TParker Question for you: How did you connect with digital marketing companies? I've been looking to expand my workload beyond individual clients.

Did you seek them out or did they come to you?

Thanks
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I've actually had pretty good luck using Upwork. I joined almost two years ago. I think it is harder to get a start there now, but I was able to land a few clients and get some good reviews. Then, I took what I learned from each job and built on it for the next. (I started out working for next to nothing!)

Other ways to connect that you could try are via your website, Twitter, LinkedIn or Reddit. I've not had to use outside sources b/c I am keeping busy (part-time) with the group I have now.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@TParker--fascinating. Many of the freelance writing boards I'm on warn never to use UpWork or Fivvr as they say it ruins your reputation and you are competing with people that charge a lot less. Obviously, that has not been your experience. Are you able to charge decent rates?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I had no experience when I started, and my rates were very low. But it didn't take me long to develop a profile. Now that I am established, I make a rate that would match a senior copywriter if I were working full time. There are probably 100 cheap clients and 1000 poor freelancer for every 1 good match. There are lots of scams, too.

It is just a matter of the quality client and the quality freelancer finding each other. After awhile you learn to identify serious clients and pitch to them.

I think it is a good idea to read about the pitfalls of the various sites, but you still have to do what puts $ in your pocket. KWIM?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thanks so much for this excellent advice. Guess it can't hurt to give it a try. Additional income, from wherever, makes sense.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler I got some work via Upwork last year, but it dropped off very quickly.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Hang on there, tigress. I thought you wrote a book and it got sold and now you are rich beyond your wildest dreams. Isn't that how it works? 8-)
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Yes, I did write a book, got a great literary agent, she sold it to Macmillan (St. Martin's Press) and now it has been optioned for a movie on the "Big Screen."

I'll get rich when they go into production.....Option check is OK, but the production check is the big bucks.

So, for now, I'm just another freelance writing grunt.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Ah, if you are going to be famous, then you probably don't want an Upwork profile.

I hadn't check to see what type of writing you do. Since you are comfortable with B2B and tech writing, you should check out https://angel.co/ I've seen a few remote content gigs posted there recently.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
If you want regular work from digital agencies go and network with them... your local agencies will get to know you and give you a project or two to see how it works out. The rest comes down to how well you do.

I knew one guy that did just this and ended up doing a lot of work for a major record label ...

So get out and meet people... yes, in real life.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I was running a language school and we needed to hire a new teacher.

We put smth on Craigslist and got 50+ applications. Some very good ones, too.

As we sat down to start weeding them out a guy came thru the door. "I am looking for a teaching job." He handed us his resume. I went thru it and we hired him right there, right then. That was 8 years or so ago and he still work for us.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
29148 14 14
destitute