BillBelew.com
ConferencesPublic SpeakingStorytelling

What Goes in a Speaker Bio?2647

Member morningstar private msg quote post Address this user
To all of the speakers in here, please share your speaker bios or give advice on the version you found worked best for you.

I was asked to write a bio and when it comes to talking myself up I tend to have a hard time. I look to you for inspiration.

Thank you all in advance.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a link to a .pdf of mine ... I think.

Bill Belew Speaker Bio

Post 2 • IP   flag post
Amazing, Thank you
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Why do you think you have a problem talking yourself up?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Years and years and years of downplaying any success I ever had in favor of being liked and included. Now, anytime I mention anything that went well I feel super uncomfortable, I realized as I started writing that I felt as if I might be hurting someone else.

Let the therapy begin !!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@morningstar

Therapy may be the right word ... and perhaps not the right time for me to write this response.

I just spent the morning dealing with a person who thinks way too much of themselves ... and now you, perhaps, not thinking enough of yourself.

I don't know you, of course, other than the exchange here. And, gosh, that might not even be you in the picture.

Don't over complicate things.

If you can do it, it's not bragging. Simple as that.

Tell people what you can do, no more, no less.

You'll be a match or you won't.

Forced matches don't work, so don't bother.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hmm, amazing how when it's presented that way everything looks and sounds so easy all of a sudden.

"Forced matches don't work, so don't bother."

I can verify that is me in the photo.

Here is a link to my first draft.

If you have a minute, I'd really appreciate hearing your feedback. I also understand your time is precious thank you for the words of wisdom as always and for the example.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@morningstar

Got called into a mtg.

It is easy if you keep it easy.

I removed your link ... no external links.

I'll take a look.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@morningstar

I sent you a msg via the inmail.

I will try to respond asap there.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@morningstar it's important that you celebrate who you are and the contribution you have made to the world. I think bios are much more difficult for women than men because we are often not encouraged to speak up about our achievements.

I guess that is why my bio is a bit humorous.

It also annoys me when women say they are married in their bio. I don't think I've ever seen a man's bio which gives his marital or family status, but I could be wrong.

I'll dig mine out and post it here.

The best thing I learnt was to include specific details which are relatable and which give a tiny insight to the depth of your character.

One I really enjoyed ended with this woman's ability to break the landspeed running record when presented with a spider. I'm sure we could all relate to that especially in Australia where the spiders are enormous!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

You don't strike me as the 'sexist' type. 8=)

Why do you think it's more difficult for a woman to talk about herself than it is for a man?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Research has proven over and over again that women aren't as brash when it comes to the work environment as men.

Women will look at a job ad, for example, which might ask for 6 qualifications and not apply because they only have 5. While a man might only have 3, but will apply anyway.

There is a lot of evidence to support women not pushing themselves in business and industry hence the shortage of women on boards and as CEOs.

I'm not sexist, it's just the facts. Whether it's the way women are brought up or just the way our brains work, I can't say.

Women represent over half the population of the world, but are not represented equally in places where major decisions are made.

Just a fact.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
This is the bio I used for Craft Content Nashville in March of this year. It went on their speaker page:

#Hopesmith. #Dream inspirer. Master of β€œit’s all about #relationships.” Aficionado of inappropriate laughter, Kathryn Lang has been helping others find the time to make their dreams come true. As an award-winning author, master multi-tasker, and encourager extraordinaire, Kathryn shares with people that are trying to walk the tightrope of family, work, and faith – and keep them all in the right balance. Whether you need help producing 1,000,000 words in a year or just producing a post for your blog, Kathryn has been building with words and wants to share her secrets with you.

I try to include what I will be sharing at the event, a little of who I am, and some of what I do (and why I do it).
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
@morningstar
If I recall, you have already re-crafted your personal brand. So I'll just add that your bio should reflect that brand. You might want to begin a list somewhere of each of the characteristics of your marketing image- the statement you want to make. Then, as you craft bios or other content, ensure that these characteristics remain consistent.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
28176 14 14
destitute