BillBelew.com
Networking

Networking, Making Friends? Which is better?2666

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Funny how the universe delivers

The last few weeks i've decided to start diving... i've bought some gear and this week i joined a yatch club.

I attended my first meeting of the dive section this week... and someone wants a website... today i was up there for lunch... when one of fhe guys with a big luxury motor cruiser invited us out fod the day tomorrow... sailing over to Rotto and laying up in a cove for the day...

Its just amazing how networking with people in the real world... is so much easier than online...
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I think my universe is very different than yours. I am thankful for the opportunity to network in the fake world.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

Can I go too?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Making friends in the real world still makes sense.

I am afraid I don't do this nearly as well as I used to ... or maybe never did it as well as I should have.

@Steve demonstrates, that enjoying life, participating in activities outside of your usual 'world' still opens doors... without even trying, too.

I am sure that I am not the only one who has discovered that serendipitous encounters have more often than not been more long lasting and fruitful ... not just for me, but for everyone involved.

Many of the friends I have now I met by chance at a coffee shop, in a training session, at a conference.

Take an inventory of your close friends. How'd you meet one another? Do more of that.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
It may be a season of life issue. I am home with my children quite a bit. A full day of sailing wouldn't quite fit our routine. Now, buying an RV and hitting the road is a possibility.

My best friend lives on the other side of the country. So we are internet friends. Her son is almost ten years older than mine so she can offer me BTDT advice. She is my proofreader now too.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
I finally got off my butt and away from my computer to attend a Bill Belew networking event.

As I was leaving, feeling like I could never connect with anyone there, a guy stopped me as I was heading out the door and asked me what I did? He had great presence and asked me very good questions and identified how we could work together. Then he invited me to his networking group. It took me a couple of weeks to actually attend.

I've been to two meetings, invited to join and have an assignment from one of the members.

I plan to attend two more networking/presentation meetings in July.

So far, so good.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
How exciting. So are you and Bill are in the same area or are there Meetups all over?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@TParker-Yes, we are both in Silicon Valley. I had heard of Bill for years as a master blogger. Friends had been to some of his gatherings and workshops.

Stupid me. No, but then I was working on other things, like heavy duty book promotions, etc.

Glad I finally got a clue, finally showed up and signed up. Can't tell how helpful this forum has been to me.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
That's great. I'm in the midwest surrounded by fields, farms, and forest.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing beats eye to eye contact and a smile when creating contacts. It only takes seconds.

Unlike working online which where there are so many hoops to jump through just to get to know someone.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I love Zoom or other video call services. It's almost like being there!

I tried Hangouts again today, for the first in months. Controls are minimal and not what I would call intuitive (hey, what do I know, I'm OLD!) but the video quality was spectacular. If they can build the right functionality and get the controls setup to be more... uh... obvious(?) they will have something awesome.

I would probably never have met @SusanDay or @Steve or @-So-Many-Others from this forum almost face to face without live-stream. Gotta love it!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
29148 11 11
destitute