BillBelew.com
Humor

I am in the wrong business. Fashion?2672

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I just dropped my daughter (9-yrs old) off at "Fashion Camp" for 3 hrs x 5 days this week.

There were abt 20 kids there (we were early) and more were expected to arrive.

These kids pay $400 for this 3 hr x 5 day class.

Lessee ... that $400 x 20 = $8,000 ... for a half day class.
There was another full class in the morning.

$400 x 20 x 2 = $16,000 for one week of classes.

This 'camp' offers 13 full day or 2 halves in a day throughout the summer.

$400 X 20 X 2 X 13 = $208,000 in one quarter of the year ... teaching 8-10 year olds how to embroider and not get their fingers sewn together.

Yeah, yeah ... there are expenses. But all of these students are also engaged and future year around customers who spend how much?

She's doing a great job ... the camp teacher. And makes me wish I knew how to knit.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter heads up summer camps for the college here in Bend. They are not camps, they are like culinary, writing code, drone operation, FBI, video, Police, Fire fighting etc.

She just doubled the schools income to over $200k in one summer. Expensive day care.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Knitting is very relaxing, Bill. I was in the wrong market to sell my finished works though. I tried making high-end custom patterned wool and silk shawls in an area where everyone one wanted to have the exact same acrylic yarn button scarf. Writing has been much more lucrative for me.

My daughter loves to work with scrap fabric, by the way. You can get a mix of colors and textures and make all kinds of things. I bet your daughter would love to have a big bag of fabric and some threads.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
You could offer you artwork on clothing via print on demand. Would that count as fashion?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I think next summer I am going to launch an 'online entrepreneur' camp for kids.

Who's in?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
That is a great idea! The skills of entrepreneurship are what will propel the next generation forward (IMO). I actually have my 11 and 13 y.o. watching entry level business courses online this year as part of their schooling. And-- there's always Lemonade Tycoon.

Take a look at Mark Kistler's website. He does summer camps and classes and often includes his live-stream students. He also offers pre-recorded classes on the same topics at a lower price point.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
• Computer camp
• Marketing camp
• WordPress camp
• Web (WWW) camp
• Social Media camp

...the opportunities are endless!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
28176 7 7
destitute