BillBelew.com
book marketingEmail MarketingFacebookMotivationTeaching

Do Freemium Models Work? How can I know?2674

Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Ahead of a book I will have to sell, and a web page I have to finish to sell images, I have been giving away images, about 1 every two weeks. To those who sign up for the email list. I just posted this one. See if I get any responses. I am up to 940 on email list.

Jack Molan Photography Free Downloads

Also I have made progress on the webpage, although I still need to add SEO, I am learning how to add content.

https://captjackphotography.com/capt-jack-speaks-alaska-visitors/
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member jaybeacham private msg quote post Address this user
I offered a booklet(hardcover) for comments recently.
Got 3 comments only.
All there people have bought from me so the booklet can be like a bonus to them for there business.
But giving away to get, I don't believe it works.
In my regular work, someone calls, I go, do the work, get paid.
I gave nothing to them for free to get the business. Why should it be any different with digital products?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jaybeacham

I tend to agree that you need not bribe people to give you money.

But then what abt paid advertisements?

What about swapping something for something - a download for an email address?

Are they the same things?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I'm a firm believer in charming people. Make them happy to visit, get wowed, feel like they could get behind what I'm doing. I'm giving away images that I will probably charge .99 for eventually. They are doing no good sitting on my hard drive. I'm building a base of followers that I can sell to,or who will spread the word, eventually.
As a note I have six new sign ups to my email list since I started 3 hours ago. I will pin it to the top of FB, and "refresh it in a day or so. See what developes.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

Why not do the same on Twitter?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
trading value for value is not giving, each party profits
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@jmolan

Why not do the same on Twitter?
I am just now going to post it to Instagram and Twitter.

I feel instagram is a bit clunky because I have to send the image to my iPad or phone, and post from there.

Twitter i can do from the desk top
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybeacham
trading value for value is not giving, each party profits

In the photography world, most photographers would die rather than let someone have a good image for free. I was told to make HUGE watermarks, only post low resolution. etc. Guess this is all true in you want to make $ off your images.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

Everybody wants something for nothing. It's the American way. Get as much as you can for as little as you have to dish out.

Nothing beats something for nothing unless it's more of something for nothing.

That being said, we all pay for what we value. Make "It" whatever IT is worth paying for ... and people will pay for it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolam @jaybeacham @belew

When I was getting ready for my book to publish, there was a big push from my California Writers group to give the book away. I was horrified! I spent a year writing and editing that thing and it was about to be published. I learned not to quit my day job, but I still was hoping to get something back.

It made no sense to me, yet I've since learned lots of writers will do giveaways to get visibility and traction. Also, it got their books into to the hands of people who never would have known about it had it not been free.

So, I can understand both sides. Now that my book has been out for several years, I'm giving it away like crazy. My agent said to buy up the used books that sell for a couple bucks and hand em out. Right now all I care about is that people know about the book prior to the movie.

I can understand trying to build an email list with freebies. Interesting how things change.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
I operate an online image licensing database (not photos tho)....and cringe when asked by a "non-profit" for free usage, when in reality, many non profits pay their higher ups, big salaries. I spent thousands re-building my site and it wouldn't make sense to give away work from that standpoint. So I strongly agree with the photographer viewpoint.
Not to mention the fact, what if you give away an image and they turn around and print it on a t-shirt that turns into a big seller? There needs to be a caveat spelled out in an e-mail agreement.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member FrugalTravelsNepal private msg quote post Address this user
I wrote an eBook when I got to Nepal and found it so incredible and incredibly crazy. I put it on Amazon and they put it in the lending library and gave it away for free. I had to send an actual act of Congress to get it down, but it's still all over the net as a free eBook.

I need to do another edit and name change. I took some of the content and made a little free eBook, What to bring and what to leave a home when you come to Nepal. It hasn't sold any books for me. I also blog, but not often enough. But, truth be told, I've not got it together well enough to make anything happen.

Really appreciating all these posts. All this looks so easy, but it's so much to do.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I have 20 new sign ups on the email list since posting the giveaway mid morning today. I will see if the momentum continues. It may be spilling over from a video I posted that has a good viewership and healthy sharing.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jmolan please PM link to your site so I can see how you set it up. How many visits a day are you getting btw?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
The give to get strategy is pretty common now. Gary V calls it the "give, give, give, ask." Old-school marketing would call it using the reciprocity principle.

Your images are wonderful Jim. I think allowing a few to be viewed and shared will help get you in front of a new audience. I would take steps to ensure that the image shares lead to name recognition for you. You never know when someone's going to remember seeing your photos and think of your brand for a gig.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
If I "give away" a similar free e-book, what about this: include a caveat in the front of the book that NO images are available for commercial purposes...i.e. re-selling on products and re-distributing under your name. All artwork available for designated specific uses as listed:

(and then my list here) and I'd have maybe 20 select images in the small e-book
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely. This type of copyright limitation is common for homeschool materials. An author will grant a license to use the content for one family only per purchase. I've also seen this with workbooks- teachers can print the materials for their class but cannot resell the images.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
thanks for that input TParker....if you go to my gallery page here, you'll see a small sampling of my specialty!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansCartoons
@jmolan please PM link to your site so I can see how you set it up. How many visits a day are you getting btw?

Facebook Jack Photography

It is on my face book. I have a good number of followers there, and have not yet launched my webpage. SO far 26 new sign ups in 20 hours or so.

Stats this morning: The post has reach: 3,745 (that is a combination of who looked at it, and who they shared it to that looked at it) Shares 31

In Contrast I posted a video a few days ago. Reach: 40,600 Shares 299. I try to include a link to sign up to my email list on all my posts.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

Keep it up.

Now, let's think what you will do with those emails.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
A street vendor with a pickup full of oranges gave me a slice to taste, a free sample. The next time I saw him, he gave me a whole orange free. Sure I'll remember him next time he's in town.
That's giving a free sample, not the whole pickup load.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
yes, but a big difference between oranges and ebooks LOL? If someone has tons of ebooks, it would take a great deal of effort to create all of them....I am sure. I am not an author, but I can imagine the sweat equity
Post 22 • IP   flag post
My intellectual work is just as valuable of a product as are oranges.
The contest I mentioned in my first reply has ended and the booklets are on there way to the people who commented.
I'm not giving them the books. I am buying their comments.
Captain Molan didn't give that image away, he bought email addresses with it.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I agree. It's a form of advertising. I view it as paying for advertising, just like any other business. It's a fair trade for me. People sharing this offer creates the buzz that helps the word spread.
My goal is to have book sales and speaking gigs through the book. The images are an important part of all three. I learned a while ago just selling photos would be a struggle.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
There are a LOT of people who pop into this forum ans milk the experts for hard earned info so they can in turn get better results.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
What's the difference between intellectual property and physical/digital property?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
IP is written and illustrated (you could include photographs in this genre). All of which are copyrighted from the moment of inception....whereby you need to "enforce" your copyrights for legit purposes (commercial and marketing reasons of course).

Physical property covers a big gamut.....you mean cars, houses or?
Post 27 • IP   flag post
I didn't sense any "milking" myself. Just basic questions and answers....altho you are the boss, are there any abuses taking place on here that I am not aware of? Curious.....
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

I see a lot of milking of information here...
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@DansCartoons @Belew @Jmolan @jaybeacham Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be some confusion here between giving away a book and giving away other time or materials. As I said earlier, I'm OK with giving away my book, for now, which "enlightened self-interest" for a future project. However, I do not give away my professional work, writing/research for which is my career. Unfortunately, the Internet doesn't respect this issue as I see my work plagiarized all over the place. I tried to track it down, but no luck. Too many obscure blog sites. It still bothers me greatly as I spend time doing in-depth research and creative energy for my clients or my own blogs, and there it goes.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29148 51 30
destitute