BillBelew.com
book marketingEmail MarketingFacebookMotivationTeaching

Do Freemium Models Work? How can I know?2674

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What's the difference between intellectual property and physical/digital property?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
IP is written and illustrated (you could include photographs in this genre). All of which are copyrighted from the moment of inception....whereby you need to "enforce" your copyrights for legit purposes (commercial and marketing reasons of course).

Physical property covers a big gamut.....you mean cars, houses or?
Post 27 • IP   flag post
I didn't sense any "milking" myself. Just basic questions and answers....altho you are the boss, are there any abuses taking place on here that I am not aware of? Curious.....
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

I see a lot of milking of information here...
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@DansCartoons @Belew @Jmolan @jaybeacham Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be some confusion here between giving away a book and giving away other time or materials. As I said earlier, I'm OK with giving away my book, for now, which "enlightened self-interest" for a future project. However, I do not give away my professional work, writing/research for which is my career. Unfortunately, the Internet doesn't respect this issue as I see my work plagiarized all over the place. I tried to track it down, but no luck. Too many obscure blog sites. It still bothers me greatly as I spend time doing in-depth research and creative energy for my clients or my own blogs, and there it goes.
Post 30 • IP   flag post

Don't let the amateur undercut you though!
Post 31 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@DansCartoons-Wow, he has a great passion for this. I don't disagree as long as my decision has some reason behind it.

To be clear, I'm giving my book away because it has been optioned for a movie "on the big screen" as I've learned to say.

It was published in 2009, so it's not new. It takes about three years, minimum" to shoot a picture. So for now, the more people who know about the book, the better. So, assuming the movie gets made, my publisher, Macmillan, will reissue the book with an update. So, the freebies have some solid reason behind it.
Post 32 • IP   flag post
@gspieler A well known video among creatives....and wanted to share it here - as Harlan is a well respected author and well established. And even as he is well established, he will not give away his intellectual property for any usage (unless of course you cross his palm with silver) - and this is already 10 years old!If you're giving anything, make sure you're getting (I guess that's been the point I've been wanting to make!) . . .any sci-fi fan will know Harlan's work!
Post 33 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user

Post 34 • IP   flag post
Who is Jeffrey Zeldman?
Post 35 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Just some web guy that has been around forever ...
Post 36 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Shows to go you what I don't know.

Never heard of him.
Post 37 • IP   flag post
@Steve good saying! I wonder what Confucious says about stealing? lol
Post 38 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Just checked, I have 28 new email sign ups. Tomorrow I will email around 966 (so far) folks with the eagle image they can download and use how they like. It has a small watermark (Capt Jack) that looks like I signed it. I will ask them to share with everyone they can to brighten their day. The email has a link back to my Facebook page.
The Video I posted for my header (a new thing on FB) has done well. This was not a give-away. The 341 shares is the number that I am pleased to see.

Post 39 • IP   flag post
"To brighten their day..." Why not consider adding some sort of inspirational text in the water portion below.

For example ... If You Want to Soar with Eagles, Don't Hang Out with Turkeys
Post 40 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansCartoons
@Steve good saying! I wonder what Confucious says about stealing? lol

@DansCartoons

I've never done an actual study but I suspect Confucious says very little about stealing and a whole lot about giving.
Post 41 • IP   flag post
When you only give ... do you also steal?

Can you be stealing from yourself, your family, your investors when you give too much away?
Post 42 • IP   flag post
You are SO right Rev....I don't know if this one makes sense but "Confucious say man who spends too much time on Facebook gets wrinkles before his time...." That's if Confucious were here today of course! Ha!
Post 43 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

One can never give too much away. The more one gives, the more one has (available) to give. Ask and you shall receive. Give (without expectation) and you will receive even more.
Post 44 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Hmm... not sure I agree. But it's not the first time you and I didn't agree, is it?

There is the point where you can be 'generous to a fault.'

If a person where to give so much that they became the one in need of being given to ... wouldn't the giver then become a problem?

It's kind of like taxes. There's a point .. 33-37% or some such number, where if a person is taxed any more, it doesn't make sense to keep earning.

Wouldn't that indicate there is a point where a person could give or have taken away too much?
Post 45 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
"To brighten their day..." Why not consider adding some sort of inspirational text in the water portion below.

For example ... If You Want to Soar with Eagles, Don't Hang Out with Turkeys

This will be the "inspirational" part of the the email.

This image shows a morning after another long brutal Aleutian storm. This eagle has about a year to reach full maturity. It's been a long winter. There is a stoic determination here. A resolve to endure, not just survive, but thrive.
Please sign up to receive this image, no strings attached.
Post 46 • IP   flag post
No, I mean but the inspirational message on the image ... for example, add a border to the bottom or to the sides.. not on the pic.
Post 47 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I think Bill is suggesting that you could format the image like a post card with the text below or to the side.

You could also add your web or FB address to the bottom of the text side.
Post 48 • IP   flag post
@TParker @jmolan Yup... I was just too lazy to create an example.

Thx!
Post 49 • IP   flag post
@TParker, that is awesome, sorry for late reply, when on a cruise ship I am without Internet..:-)
Post 50 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Being on a cruise is a great reason to be unplugged. (Even if you are working.)
Post 51 • IP   flag post
29143 51 26
destitute