BillBelew.com
BacklinksSEO

Serious and Honest Visibility - Backlinks2688

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Not a few of the members here want more visibility AND backlinks to their sites.

Get Backlinks and Relevant Visits

Getting quality backlinks and relevant looks can't get easier or better than this.

Continue reading below the image.

Jack is a student in the forum classroom. He's been a forum member since March of this year.

Jack has also posted 128 times.

Start a New Forum Thread

The average number of posts per thread is 10. Jack has not created 128 new threads ... but if he had, he would have gotten on average 1,280 looks AND back links to his site. Whenever a forum thread is updated ... that's a dynamic change to a page = very good juice.

Never has there been a better reason to be active here in the forum provided you have something worth sharing = start a new thread or post a new comment on an existing thread.

REAL Visibility for a whopping $19/month

Folks pay 10x - 20x that per month and get much less or nothing at all.

Click => Upgrade to student now.

Then start a real discussion on a topic of interest to you and other forum members.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Why reply to a post with your website in your signature.

79% of all posts replies get opened up by the forum members.

You reply - there's an 80% chance your reply will get read and the reader will look to see who wrote the reply ... and your website link in your profile.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. We should all pay attention to our results and report back. Though I'm not tracking mine right now. Guess it is time for me to get my analytics set up in order.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@TParker

Indeed, I am curious to know how many folks click thru from here to you.

Of course, it's no secret, the more trust and credibility you earn by contributions here, the more likely click thrus are to happen.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
9,584 people have visited my profile page here.

How many have come to yours? Is your profile page up to date?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting developments especially as I can now see who is a teacher. a student and just a plain old member (like me)

From a marketing perspective this whole forums move away from totally free to free and paid areas ... seems to have failed. Just an opinion based on the number of teacher / students I can see that are still active... given the amount of marketing and effort that must have gone in to all of this.

Would it not have been better I wonder, to make this the best free forum around, with thousands of active members ... rather than the handful that regularly post.

Just putting it out there, as is my way ... and it'll be interesting to see how it develops now ... it could and I think will help boast student / teacher numbers... now people can see who is going to be teaching them stuff, before they sign up.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
to make this the best free forum around, with thousands of active members

Yeah... tried that for abt 3 years ... and look where it got me.

How do you recommend getting 1000s of active members that post ... and who pays for that?

Just asking questions ... as is my way. Looking forward to learning from you.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I like the new labels. I think it helps work out who's who.

@Steve I understand where you are coming from in one way, but who pays for all the free content?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I have seen both models with homeschooling forums. One has a huge number of posters and serves as a loss leader for the owner. The owner offers books, attends conferences, etc. Presumably, that justifies the hosting costs. She regularly reissues new editions of her publications, so that helps to keep revenue coming.

The other site when in another direction. The owner also sold books and attended conferences, but had a smaller market share. They tried to monetize by creating new and revised content but IMO the prices were too high. I think they would have performed better by selling the products at a lower price per item and doing higher volume. (It was a digital product so they could have experimented with price.)

At some point, the forum owner expressed pretty clearly that those who were regularly buying new products were a burden because of hosting costs. He didn't tell people that had to leave, but he wasn't real subtle about his wishes. The place became a digital ghost town. Then, he backtracked and decided that former users of the product were welcome (i.e. those whose children were too old for the curriculum) But the damage was done. We'd all moved elsewhere.

Now, I've left both places because they just aren't a good fit for me. So I can't say how either is currently doing. It *is* possible to create a thriving forum and then monetize through other methods. But there is certainly no guarantee of success.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParker
loss leader

What's a loss leader?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
It's a retail method where the store intentionally prices an item at or below cost to get you into the store. The retailer knows that you'll usually purchase more items while you are there and that revenue will make up for the costs of using the strategy.

(Very old-school marketing trick from back in the day. )
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@TParker

I think GoDaddy uses this technique.

You can get hosting super cheap the first year but they get you in the 2nd and subsequent years and wth other add ons.

I never knew what it was called until you used the term.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew

Yeah... tried that for abt 3 years ... and look where it got me.

How do you recommend getting 1000s of active members that post ... and who pays for that?

Just asking questions ... as is my way. Looking forward to learning from you.

If I was running a forum and I did for years ... I would most likely run it as a Facebook Group nowadays... everyone uses FB, the group section is great with notifications, etc... and best of all it is free ... so there is no cost to run it, other than time.

Consider the time, just like the time you put in to creating and posting content... you have to put enough in, if you want to take some out at a later date.

If I wanted to run an actual forum, I would have it integrated into my website... using bbpress or similar... so that everything was WP ... again no increased costs to running a forum... same, same re time considerations.

Running this forum on this platform ... I would ask myself is it cost prohibitive, it is user friendly enough, does it give me the flexibility I need... is it worth building something on someone elses platform... do users want a forum or a FB Group etc.

To generate forum users ... I'd make it the best forum, with the best answers, etc... it could be, I'd even throw some advertising behind it to boast users upwards. I'd have a monthly / weekly competition in which the most active users, most active new users, best answer, etc... received some recognition (no need for actual prizes)... etc...

@SusanDay Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
@Steve I understand where you are coming from in one way, but who pays for all the free content?

I provide answers (content) here free of charge, are you saying that I shouldn't? I taught everyone here at the time how to use twitter, how to grow your accounts, etc... many of you are using this to make money... did I get paid? No because I like to help people to grow and learn... that's the whole basis of a forum in my opinion.

Just my initial thoughts ... on the subject matter
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve The idea of prizes is interesting.

I run a Facebook group, and I agree it does have some benefits, but then there are all those distractions!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
<storymode>

Years ago, before the Internet was public, I was paying something like $30/hour to connect a 1200 baud modem via long distance phone line, from the small town in Canada where I lived, to a TymeNet portal about 80 miles away and then on to Virginia to connect to a popular game and chat service for the Commodore 64 personal computer called QuantumLink.

I had heard a little about bulletin board systems (BBS) and met a few system operators (SysOps) who gladly shared their love of digital communities with me. One day, after looking at my extremely high phone bill, I said to my wife, "I'll bet I could run my own BBS cheaper than this!" And I could.

AMBASSADOR BOARD, a local BBS, was born. It lead directly to my first ecommerce transaction in 1989 ($10), well before the term had actually been coined. By 1996 it had over 7000 members world wide, getting calls from as far away as Australia, France, Brazil, and as far north as Igloolik (about as far north as you could get and still use a modem!) We had local dial-up lines from as far away as Toronto to the south and Owen Sound to the north.

In those days, BBSs were known for their strict rules, quotas, and dictatorial SysOps. Because posts were few and far between, SysOps instituted steep quotas requiring the posting of several messages before you could access popular games. The result: lots of say-nothing messages. They also set upload/download ratios. You had to upload, say, 1 file before you could download 3. The result: renamed copies of command.com (the main active file of DOS) uploaded regularly.

SysOps complained that users were stupid, greedy, uninterested, uncaring, and generally a basket of deplorables. I took a different approach...

I let members post or not as they pleased. I gave them unlimited access to file downloads, providing multiple CDs loaded with shareware and a satellite feed bringing in new files by the minute. I gave access to all the great games (doors) that I could find, all this without ratios, limits, or restrictions.

The result? People played games. They downloaded files. But they also posted messages. They loved the board and they share their sentiments, which lead to meeting others, which lead to engagement and more messages. And the messages got around -- to other BBSs and people came from far and wide to visit the 'bass. It was a win-win.

I've done this kind of thing as much as possible where ever I go and whatever I do (or create). It's always been a win for me.

I tend to limit my "Rev" involvement to just a name but, breaking type for a moment, I think Luke 6:38 pretty much covers it. If you don't believe me, try it.

</storymode>
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Oh, we loved our local BBS guy. We would log in once a day to play our single round on the text turn-based game and then anxiously wait for the next day so we could find out what happened next.

That was many moons ago.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Just checking out my new label.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
28693 17 17
destitute