BillBelew.com

Authors - how is your website going?2689

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Hello to all you authors out there!

I am looking into a new business venture and I need your help.

Could you tell me if your website is attracting the right kind of people?

Is your website selling books for you?

Or, is it just an electronic flyer advertising your book?

What kind of things do you do to attract people to your website?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

Looking fwd to knowing more abt this venture.

I know some things that don't work.

I'll be sharing those in the classroom. 8-)
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew I want to pull from my 8 years experience as an Indie and what you taught me about SEO.

I'm interested to know if my experiences are similar to other authors.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be interested in seeing the responses. I know what I *think* works but don't have any evidence.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@TParker

What do you think works?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
LOL All that stuff in my article, of course.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I sell books (my own and a few others) from my website, and I promote my books on Amazon through my website. I don't have numbers handy but I have sold enough to be satisfied that it is one more part of my income stream. I need more books.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member aspringsteen42 private msg quote post Address this user
My website is more of a blog. I write thoughts and musings if you will. There is a contact page and an about the author page as well. Any ideas on how to maybe spice it up a little?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I'm building the platform for my first book (due in Sept.)I have not launched the website to the public yet, I'm still tweeking any number of things that befuddle me. My site will have writing/speaking/photography/blogging. Speaking is getting close (I think) https://captjackphotography.com/capt-jack-speaks-alaska-visitors/
Seems simple enough, but juggling the disciplines and learning to make a good website keep me busy...:-)
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan You never stop learning!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar_ranger
@jmolan You never stop learning!

I'm firm believer in that! I'm starting to catch on it is a bit of a slog (work) with bursts of WOW! Thats cool. I think we all want the peak moments, but there is a lot regular ol' hard work in between...:-)
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringsteen42
My website is more of a blog. I write thoughts and musings if you will. There is a contact page and an about the author page as well. Any ideas on how to maybe spice it up a little?

I think you need to have a landing page that offers visitors a preview of what is on the other pages or tells them a little more about why they might want to continue reading. Visuals are increasingly important, too.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@TParker

I think every page/blog post should be a 'landing page' of sorts.

Unless you have one page that acts as a portal to all the other pages.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Could someone send me a link showing me a landing page, I think I understand it is pretty bare bones. You get something for signing up?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

A landing page is a page where people land when they come to your site.

It could be any one of your blog posts.

Some folks like to create a dedicated landing page where all the info is in one place ... such as your home page.

Then they shout, coerce, beg, entice, pay and use all other shenanigans to get folks to that one page. (not a good strategy) imho.

You are better off to have a solid home page and good quality posts. On each page but a call to action - download this for your email or some such action.

Does this help?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

I created this Landing Page for my recent Facebook campaign (paid people to come take a look)

Robot Kids
Post 16 • IP   flag post
I will set this to be my study this afternoon Obi-whan...:-)
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

I am preparing a webbie to let you know how well it works to pay people on Facebook to come to a landing page that is off site from Facebook.

Hope you can make it to the webbie.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Heck yea, just let me know when. My FB continues to grow, but I'm not hitting the hot buttons I could to make it grow more.
Last check I have not cracked 1k on email subscription though.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
There's some really smart people here who use email. I am not one of them.

This is what I know ... if you are building an email list, you will want to feed that animal (email out) regularly and well.

People have a relationship with which emails and from whom that they open and which they don't.

If you want people to read your emails, start feeding those on your list now, build loyalty ... then when you have something you really want them to read ... they'll be ready.

Too often people wait till they have something that's really important ... then email ... and get 12% of people to read the thing ... much less act on it.

Email is no different than any other marketing relationship.

It takes consistent and faithful and meaningful contact to get desired results.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I updated my website. Gave it some color, added some pictures and added a landing page. I also put a small excerpt from one of my chapters and links to go directly to the book to purchase it. If anyone wants to check it out you are welcome to. Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

awakenyourdreamsbook.wordpress.com
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolan
Could someone send me a link showing me a landing page, I think I understand it is pretty bare bones. You get something for signing up?

Your landing page content choices will depend on your goals.For my personal blog (hwtk.net), my home or landing page displays my most recent entries. This "summary" page allows people to quickly see what the website is about. For my Paker Content landing page, I start with my About Me information.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@aspringsteen42 Better. It is more visually engaging now.

What's the targeted age range/readership demographics for your books?
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Well the book is for ages 7-13 mainly. However, the book has underline messages and themes that even adults could read it and enjoy it. They could also read it to their 5 or 6 year old. My teacher did that and they both enjoyed it.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Member Iamstevenb private msg quote post Address this user
I have one site, on Squarespace. I am seriously considering changing to a WordPress friendly service. Although I could figure everything out I don't know that I want to.

I have one topic specific blog that I am writing and additional topics I want to write about. I would love for it to be a business that generates income. So far I pay and pay and pay. But no income to make it worth my while.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Rev Love to hear how you sell your books. What promotions or marketing strategies do you use?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@aspringsteen42 Your target would be parents and grandparents. How could your site appeal to them?
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@jmolan I would work on getting a great website before you do any advertising or promotions.

In the end your website has to stand alone and be the go-to backend of any marketing strategy you employ.

Landing Pages work really well if you have got an audience you can already tap into they don't work as a standalone.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Iamstevenb yes please go to WordPress and choose a simple clean theme to begin with.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to continue to look into how I can make my website more appealing. Today is the first day I really put time into it.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29714 38 30
destitute