BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksMotivation

#2 Experimenting w Reward System for Members2691

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have a problem. It's called being transparent.

I like to do things out in the open ... inasmuch as it makes sense. I sometimes, okay often, talk too much as well.

People see me try things, fail at things, and sometimes get things right. I am okay with that.

I am experimenting with tags for members in the forum who participate, give a lot.

I can't make all the changes at once. And sometimes the changes make sense and sometimes they don't and need to be backtracked on.

Yesterday was the first step in recognizing outstanding members.

#1 - I added tags to forum teachers and students. Only the teachers can see the tags on those students who are in private classrooms.

Teachers and students also get links to their websites in their regular posts and replies as well as in their profile.

#2 Today I am working on 'rewarding' members who have been in the forum and added a lot to it. Measured by a LOT of posts and up votes from other members.

It'll take me a while to institute this and I have not decided at what level a member needs up votes before I add a link to their website into their replies and posting profile. I am open to suggestions.

In the meantime, here's what it looks like.

@Steve has been around a long time and you can see from votes how members measure his contributions.

Thanks for being so generous @Steve.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Iamstevenb private msg quote post Address this user
Of course, you are free to do as you wish. Some say god is just a being that has been around for a long time.

I see this as a means to identify people who have been around for a long time. Given that I would never be eligible for a tag why would it make any difference?

You reward your friends.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Iamstevenb

It's not just about ppl who have been around for a long time.

It's about people who have given much and have been recognized by others here.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew not sure i agree with you. I could get the distinction between paid and unpaid people here.

The cream always rises to the top... so badges, etc mean little.

Thats my opinion...

Have you considered a full membership website? Forums bond those communities and ensure people remain members for a long time...
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Have you considered a full membership website? Forums bond those communities and ensure people remain members for a long time...

Not sure what you are asking here. Or what you mean by this.

Make folks members from the get go?

Some folks don't want to pay ... but they are happy to participate and add a lot. I am wrestling with how to recognize people who give without asking them to give more ($).
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@Iamstevenb

It's not just about ppl who have been around for a long time.

It's about people who have given much and have been recognized by others here.

Okay. Will there be some objective measure or measures?

I have seen other sites that measure the number of visits, the number of messages, the number of thanks. But, in truth, it does not matter. I will come here as long as I believe the value of my visit makes it worth the time I spend to come here.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
You've got a community of people... paid and unpaid... at the moment those paying and yourself ... support the whole community.

Have you considered making a full membership website... where you can your teachers can have drip fed and live content... backed up by this forum.

Transition your existing community over once it is built by giving them 30 days free membership... add in some sort of referral program... so that those that bring in people never have to pay.

Eyc.. eyc... this makes it more than a forum... I'm sure you and the other teachers could mastermind something like this.

And dont forget thats how we met.

Just think you need to look at the big picture... although you most likely have your end goal all mapped out
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Iamstevenb

If it doesn't matter then I won't bother explaining.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
It really does not matter. It is your site to do with as you please. People will come and join and stay only if it meets their needs.

Your target appears to be those who are already here and committed. There is nothing wrong with that.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Ah, participation trophies!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Bill, I think Steve is suggesting a lower entry point to create a self-supporting forum with a larger membership. For example, everyone pays $X per year and has full access.

You are experimenting with the alternatives that involve a higher entry fee but results in fewer paying participants. A third alternative would be no fee and affiliate marketing or other methods to cover the costs.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
In the end, the model you choose has to be one that you are comfortable implementing and sustaining. Because you'll be the one ultimately paying the bills.

Now, if you are carefully recording every month's results, you can always hope to recoup your costs by creating an ebook based on the case study.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@TParker

Thanks for the clarification. I think I got the gist now. Dummy me.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Belew I like the banner that came with my email notification. Is that new or have I not been paying attention?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@TParker

That's new.

I am playing around with those new options.

Perhaps there are folks who would like to reach all the members here this way?

I can tell them how many emails are delivered, opened and such ...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
28693 15 15
destitute