BillBelew.com
Business AdviceGetting Started

Invited to Fiverr HQ to learn. Should I go?2694

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
One of the perks, if that's what it should be called, of living right in the heart of Silicon Valley is watching the value of my house go up by the day. Okay, not really. A house isn't worth anything unless you sell it. But then where would I live? Indiana?

Fiverr invited me to come (not just me, okay?) to their HQ in SF to learn about the gig economy and freelancing and what not. That's a lot of us here, isn't it?

Should I go? It's about an hour by train and foot to get there.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Meanwhile ... I also got contacted today, is this a coincidence? by UpWork. They are about halfway between where I am and Fiverr.

They sent me a busload of information on the state of the Freelance union.

What should I do with all this info about the gig economy?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
And if that's not enough ... I should have put this in the previous thread, sry. ... there's a new Meetup starting in the general area on ... drumroll, plz ... the gig economy.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
One of many New Marketing Meetups that we will be starting!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I can't speak to the corporate health of either company. But on the scale of terrible to just mediocre, Freelance.com is worst, Fiver is next, and Upwork is the best (yet still mediocre).

You should learn about the gig economy because a lot of the people coming here are probably part of that economy either as freelancers, clients, or both. It is important intel that you'll want to get from somewhere.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Freelance is in Paris. I won't be visiting there. And if I were going to Paris, I still wouldn't plan to drop in.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I really hate Fiverr and can't understand the fervor (does that make it "Fiverr fervor" -- say that FIVE times fast! Oh, quit it, Rev, please!!!)

I just contacted a VA about work and she only works through Fiverr. She won't begin to entertain a direct contract. Seems foolish to me. Almost as bad as selling only through JVZoo!

Anyway, I would love to hear what you learn about so, please, do go and share!

Wish I lived closer. Could actually. Just can't afford the price of a room in your neighborhood.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev

If I charged you the going rate for room rent in my house, I could pay my mortgage with it and have some left over. No kidding.

It's silly the prices here. But then, the only reason prices are so high is because people will pay them.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
28693 8 8
destitute