BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksContent Creation

How Do You Handle Trolls?2699

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I was watching something on Netflix. Who isn't on Neflix, btw?

Sorry ... got distracted.

In the program "Last Man Standing" there's this young fellow who comes across really stupid, (Maybe he is) ... but also very innocent, loyal and other top qualities. Do you have to sacrifice likability with intelligence = knowing stuff?

Derailed again.

Mike says, "Kyle won't take the bypass because he's afraid of the trolls." Trolls - tolls. Get it?

I was in a group on Facebook and chatting with a fellow who says he generally avoids the online space (except for this closed group devoted to preachers/pastors) because he doesn't want to have to interact with trolls, honestly admitting he gets dragged too often into the mud with them.

It got me to wondering and to think to ask you all here ... how do you deal with trolls?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
intelligence = knowing stuff

Intelligence is not knowledge. They are two different things!

I often meet people who say, "I am too stupid to do that!" when what they really mean is simply, "I don't know how to do that." -- two entirely different things. If you really were too stupid to do it you would never be able to learn to do it. Stupid is about intelligence (how well your brain works), not about how much you know.

Albert Einstein, some suggest, was the smartest man who ever lived. Others may suggest someone else, but we can all agree he was pretty smart (intelligent). The thing is, YOU, by virtue of being able to come to this forum and read this post, are more computer literate than Einstein ever was. Does that mean you are smarter than Einstein? Probably not. It just means you have learned (gained the knowledge) of something Einstein never had the opportunity to learn.

Personal computers, smart phones, and the Internet did not exist in Einstein's lifetime. But he did OK with a piece of chalk and a blackboard!

So, don't tell yourself you are stupid when all you have to do is learn something!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
... how do you deal with trolls?

As for the trolls bit... just don't fee them. It is sometimes difficult but just ignore them and they will soon go off to better pickings.

Post 3 • IP   flag post
How is it that some people have nothing better to do than go abt creating havoc?

I once had this seemingly very intelligent and articulate person consistently post insightful comments on a column I was writing ... but he called himself BathTub.

I refused to interact with a person who called themself after a household item ... that nobody uses any more. Or maybe some people do. What do I know?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member BuzzyMarketing private msg quote post Address this user
Boy, I think Rev really commented well on this topic.

Today, if you call a person ignorant, they get all steamed up.

It's basically the same thing that Rev was talking about because people tend to associate ignorance with stupidity.

The label of ignorance should not be taken as an insult or a measure of intelligence, but rather a challenge or an admission of limitation that can be overcome should one but choose to invest the energy.

Ignorance is where we all begin, where we end is up to us. Choose to remain ignorant, or choose to gain knowledge.

Wow... these tangents seem to be contagious.

On the topic of trolls, I also tend to agree with Rev.

I once got into a debate with someone that I thought was an intelligent person, a thinker.

Problem was that he was a true troll through and through. This meant that the "debate" ultimately resulted in a spiraling degradation from a place of intelligent conversation to a place of ...well, name-calling.

It was not one of my shinier moments.

This taught me what I think of as a skill...

When someone dips negative, the very first thing I do (if possible) is to review their past comments.

If I see a pattern of negativity, most of the time I will ignore the comment.

Sometimes, I will point out their negativity and suggest they go "pet a dog" or something else to promote happiness in their life.

However! If they historically are neutral or positive in the majority, then I will take some time to ponder and reflect on their words.

Not always, but often, I'll find a seed for personal or professional growth from what I perceive to be a negative perspective.

In short, while trolls abound, not everything we perceive as negative is trollish behavior, and I've found that it isn't too hard to determine the difference.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
But do people even comment online anymore?

They do on Facebook ... but on a personal website?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Am I the only one who really enjoys when @Rev has the time and uses it to educate us?

Thanks!!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member BuzzyMarketing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But do people even comment online anymore?

They do on Facebook ... but on a personal website?

Sure they do.

Perhaps not as much as I'd like, and you have to have more than a trickle of traffic.

I think that the various social platforms are encouraging and enabling the pastime of escape based "consumorism".

Meaning that I think the bulk of people consume more than they create because they're trying to escape from whatever they think sucks in their life and this is an aggressively passive mentality.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzyMarketing
the bulk of people consume more than they create

90% of US readers are passive. Note: it's 50% in China.

That means only 10% of folk online create anything; the rest just move stuff around.

Of the 10% that create anything, 90% of them just comment on other's material = not original.

That leaves a measly 1% of content online being truly original ... and that's probably high.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Through LinkedIn I enjoyed some real spirited discussions that were prevalent on just about any topic. Then something happened. Many moderators on LinkedIn got extremely tough where eventually there were 'no comments' posted on a regular basis. What ever happened to free speech? Do we really want to increase the percentage of US or any other country readers that are passive? It's easy to delete the obvious ugly posts but the moderator shouldn't be deleting up to 99% of the total posts that are submitted at any one time. This forum actually goes against the grain and encourages more discussions not less. And, I've seen a high level of original thought where in other forums original and creative ideas seem to be suppressed rather than celebrated. Are they trying to preserve a brand a perceived image and as a result discourage any comments that could be informative and possibly useful?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

I will ask LI when/if it actually happens.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Quote:
That leaves a measly 1% of content online being truly original ...

Now, if only we could find just that 1%!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

No. No.

Not find the 1%...be the 1%.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
28693 13 13
destitute