BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness AdviceFeedback

What Came First a Following or a Product?2701

Member BuzzyMarketing private msg quote post Address this user
I've made some decent money online and I've been a programmer virtually all my life.

I'm able to handle the backend (data and transformation) as well as the front end (presentation) and everything in between.

Without going into all the boring details, I've got a lot of capability with tech.

You might think this would give me an advantage, but...

Since when does knowing how to build something matter in the realm of income producing ventures?

The reason for this post is to throw some thoughts into the ether for critique.

I can solve just about any problem (technically speaking) I'm presented with.

But I've yet to define a problem that I want to solve with a product or service.

Because of this, I've decided to write and learn because without having a dedicated focus I think something is better than nothing.

Once I do decide on a product/service to build, I'll have a platform to work from.

Plus this is immersing me into many different areas so I have a better understanding of the problems that exist.

It's working, to a degree and will likely take quite some time with my current approach.

Slow as it is, it seems like a reasonable approach until I get a better... focus(?).

Obviously, since I'm posting this I'm going through a period of internal questioning, so I'd appreciate thoughts from this varied group.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@BuzzyMarketing

To answer your question in the title:

Begin to build your following while you build your product/find your focus.

You will think your would-be target market is interested in X when they are really interested in Y. You will discover their interests by tracking what brought them to your site.

Go ahead, start writing. Put yourself 'out there' and you will find your niche or it will find you.

But nothing happens until you start hitting the publish button.

Does this make sense?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member BuzzyMarketing private msg quote post Address this user
Sure does. Basically my thoughts exactly.

Thanks!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@BuzzyMarketing

If you are really "into" buzzy marketing then you should already know the 4 Ys Of Success. If not, Google it. It applies to what @Belew said above. The key is that you start posting now. You say the other part is going to be a long process so you have time (it takes time) to do the posting but it's all about beginning now.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
28693 4 4
destitute