BillBelew.com
Hosting

How Many Domains Does GoDaddy Host?!?!2702

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It's incredible how many domains GoDaddy hosts.

Drum roll, plz.

43,163,218 domains!

GoDaddy hosts over 15% of all domains in the world.

That's a lot of shekels.

Admit it ... who else has something hosted by GoDaddy or an affiliate of the behemoth.

I do!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
I have domain names with them.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I use GoDaddy for all my own domains, most of my client domains, and it's the only one I recommend regularly -- for domain registration only! I do not personally recommend them for hosting, especially WordPress sites. My experience has not been good in that regard.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Do you mind to share your bad experiences with GoDaddy in Wordpress sites? So which service provider do you use for hosting?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tienny

I used to use GoDaddy for hosting. I started with a single website. Later I had reseller space. Eventually I had a dedicated server that came complete with an "Account Executive" I could contact to escalate server issues that tech support couldn't handle. That should have been a clue that tech support probably couldn't handle things.

I had regular issues and, as indicated, tech support wasn't much help. I left. I tried 7 different hosting companies before finding one that had the service I needed at a price I could afford. I am currently hosting my servers with InMotion Hosting.

I had already left before GoDaddy brought out their WordPress focused hosting and I now turn down clients who host there. Their non-traditional setup and their limits on various plugins make it unsuitable by my measure. I just don't like having to change to their way of doing things.

There are people who really like them for both WordPress and other website modalities, but I'm not one of them.

I should probably be clear here. I know a little bit about this stuff. In the past I worked for 2 different ISPs (Internet Service Providers) which included hosting servers. Later I partnered in a 3rd company and finally owned a 4th one. Somewhere along the way I got server administration certification.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev Congrats for you to get server administration certification.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@belew How about yourself?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tienny

It was a long time ago and way out of date. The knowledge helps me now, though, as I know when a service tech is trying to snow me.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I use Bluehost.

I was a real dummy when it came to website hosting and using WordPress 2 years ago, now I work like a pro. I have the patient chatroom techs at Bluehost to thank for that.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay GoDaddy has great tech support. Then again they need it.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Seems that you like BlueHost. I use GoDaddy and like their tech support with Singapore number. This is the most amazing part.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Server woes this week ...
Server gets hacked...
No Problem all websites are backed up...
Patch and Restore Websites...
Three Websites have Malware within them ... One Pretty Bad...
Take Server Offline while this is sorted...
Take infected websites out of action.
Restart Server.

Infected Websites...
Start with fresh server space, reinstall WP... Plugins... Upload Images and content after checking it is free of malware...
Upload the original database with all of the clients content ...
Check and it's done.

As to support from hosting companies and data centers ... don't count on it, because even with some of the companies mentioned here, they have massive failings.

But its all fun and part of the game
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Been there. Done that. Are we having fun yet???
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29424 13 13
destitute