BillBelew.com
PresentationsPublic Speaking

Ugh! Death by Google Slides Presentation2713

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
After finally getting away from Power Point to Prezi ... that was fun ... I now have the option to use Google Slides or ... Google Slides. ... or nothing at all.

Death by Google Slides anyone?

Has anybody effectively used Google slides? Wanna share?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
A little more clunky but easier to use because it is on the cloud - easier to retrieve anywhere - so as long as there is internet, you can show it. However, it is clunky especially if you are showing it to a lot of people - slow, and unpredictable due to the connectivity - you can lose your audience if this happens.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilBhaskaran
lose your audience if this happens

As the audience goes, so goes the speaker.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I use Apple Keynote. I have a copy of the presentation on my hard drive, and two backup thumb drives. It consist of 64 photo images and 3-4 short videos. Works great as long as I can get hooked up to the projector..:-)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

I use Prezi ... great for storytelling and fun for the audience.

But this place I am presenting this next Sat (week from tomorrow) will accept ONLY Google Slides.

Google is one of the hosts. That may have something to do with it.

8-(
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Yawn. I get bored waiting for Google sheets to "save". Can't image how slow slides must be.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
It's all new to me... l use PowerPoint and that's about it.

Technology always has a habit of failing... I once designed a presentation for a large gas company here in Australia... this presentation cost ten's of thousands of dollars and was pretty impressive. The trouble was it never actually worked... the specifications for the computer I was given that would play the presentation was different from what was actually used... hence some of the software required was missing. I ended up turning the presentation into a website and learning to always give such design presentations to the client on a laptop (they could keep) purchased for the job.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Speaking of technology failing ...

There was a violin player who used to practice breaking strings so that if it happened so that a string broke during an actual concert he could keep on going. It was so impressive that he would try to break strings during a concert. Impressive.

The mark of excellence is not what you can do when all the pieces of technology work for you ... but what you can do when they let you down.

I always make two preparations when called on to speak. One for when technology is there to support me, and one for when it lets me down.

Surprisingly, or maybe not so ... audiences respond more when the technology is NOT there do support me but I am still able to keep them engaged.

Go figure.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I just use a web browser (Chrome or Firefox preferred) and drop the images (slides) into a window, one at a time and then use the back button to get back to the first slide. The forward button steps easily through the cached images. It's quick and sure. Low tech. Just works.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29714 9 9
destitute