BillBelew.com

Authors, What Inspires You to Write?2720

Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
My best friend is a very successful water color artist. A rare combination of talented artist and business man. He has told me in various ways, "I'll start painting at 9 a.m. It's my job, it's what I do, and thats when I will do it."
He said the classic wanna be's search for inspiration, to ge motivated by a great idea. They obsesses over the materials, their studio, another trip to the supply store for just the right brush. He can't engage in time suckers. He paints.
Not a single writer I've read of can escape the hard work to write. Actually Ernest Hemingway did, he said "Writing is easy, you put your fingers on the keyboard, and bleed all over it."
My personal favorite, a real pro, with a weekly newsletter on writing. http://www.stevenpressfield.com
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Jack is right. I've become lazy.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay @gspieler I've written and published 13 books as well, some fiction over 120,000 words, some shorter fiction and non-fiction, plus two adult colouring books based on when I lived in France. (Check them out on Amazon. My name is Wendy Dewar Hughes.)

The questions you need to ask yourself as a writer is: Do I really want to do this? Why?

Some people just want to have written but don't really want to do the work. Others want to write for the joy of it, in which case, sitting at a computer all day is no big deal because you love the process.

In my work as a writing and publishing coach, I've helped my clients write and publish nearly 50 books. Sometimes you need help to get the job done, but if it's something that is important to you, you need to find a way. If it's not important, go do something that you love more.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
I spoke to a group of writers who, the majority, had written something in their lives and called themselves writers. But most had not written anything new in ages.

I tried to kindly tell them, but probably failed at it, "You all are not writers. You are wroters. If you want to be a writer, you have to write."

Now, I am in danger of becoming a wroter ... or not.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay, wholly smokes! We have some talented, accomplished folks here, I'm honored!
Post 30 • IP   flag post

@jmolan

In about a year, we will be saying this Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolan
talented, accomplished folks

about you.

Indeed, we already are.
Post 31 • IP   flag post

I follow in your footsteps. (This are Aleutian eagle tracks, and my size 14 boot)
Post 32 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

My dad was always happy about the size of my feet. "You'll never need to buy skis."

Looks like I am in good company. 8-)
Post 33 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@Summerbay- Wow, another 13-booker. What is it about that number? Yes, we really do have some very talented people here who are generous with their ideas and suggestions.

@jmolan Thank you so much for that link. I read it all. Very helpful.
Post 34 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew A wroter... see, you and Shakespeare have something in common - you both make up new words.

You are a writer!
Post 35 • IP   flag post
@gspieler I've written more than 13 books but some are under 25000 words. My obedience training for guinea pigs book, for example, is more illustration based.

And, next weekend I am doing a storytelling workshop for children on my book called, Clarence the Snake from Dunolly. That's only 8000 words, but a good funny read all the same.
Post 36 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I write because I want to give the voices in my head a place to live
Post 37 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I write and draw because I want share my imagination to the world and make a difference into children's and parents' life.
Post 38 • IP   flag post
@tienny Who's life can you most impact?

What age children?
Post 39 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang What a wonderful response.
Post 40 • IP   flag post
@belew I believe I can impact the preschoolers then the parents.
Post 41 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay My kids like to remind me that it doesn't always work

On a serious note, I LOVE words and I know from personal experience the power of words. I write in an effort to wield that power for positive effects in the lives my words encounter. It is the need to be a spark of hope that drives me to write.
Post 42 • IP   flag post
There's a writers group that is meeting this evening.

I am going ... looking for inspiration, camaraderie maybe ... or a good meal and a story.

I hope I don't just feel like writing afterwards, but that I actually start writing.
Post 43 • IP   flag post
@Belew Sounds interesting - you'll have to give us a full report!
Post 44 • IP   flag post
@jmolan

This fellow knows stuff. Mark Malatesta.

Not a recommendation.
Post 45 • IP   flag post
@belew Why he is not recommended?
Post 46 • IP   flag post
@tienny i have not done business with him personally.
Post 47 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@belew @jmolan

Geez, I just checked Mark Malatesta's website. He must have paid a fortune for that. BTW---you can get the complete list of literary agents from Writer's Market. But, then his is free and Writer's Market costs. However, there is great stuff for finding paying markets.
Post 48 • IP   flag post
@belew Thanks for telling me.
Post 49 • IP   flag post
29714 49 24
destitute