BillBelew.com

Authors, What Inspires You to Write?2720

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Authors, What Inspires You to Write?

I deal with a lot of authors in my line of work, and I am always impressed with the dedication and perseverance authors show. Anyone who has written a book will tell you it is darned hard work!

So, what inspires you to write or to keep going when things get tough?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
The stories in my head. They're so much fun to create. Also, I love the act of typing and creating the story.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

I have a lot of inspiration but not enough motivation these days.

Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay You are right. There is something special and so exciting when the ideas are brewing away.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I am about to finish my first book. It came about as an assignment and took discipline. The other two books I have mostly written were free form, all over the board. I will have to re-write them.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay What inspire me to write is to share the imagination in my head to the world. My son is the main influence and catalyst. How it can help them in a certain way.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jmolan That's interesting what you said about writing in free form.

There is a standard structure with all types of writing, and of course, it takes practice to get it right.

I keep a journal where I write freeform whenever and however I like.

I guess at the end of the day, I like to break the rules every now and then ... lol
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tienny I always find it interesting to find out where writers find their muse.

When my children were little I put together a collection of poems about them. I should get them out and share them with my grandchildren.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay, I recon I have 150k words across a few different genre's. Sitting on my hard drive. This was before I found a real book editor (and writing coach) The discipline to write 10 short (1,500 to 2,000 word) storys has been great.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@jmolan Short stories are a blast. They're so quick to write. If I know where I'm going with a story, I can write 1000 words in an hour, whereas novels take months. (They're fun to write too, just a bigger commitment.)
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay @Jmolan @tienny I'm a non-fiction writer with a very strong passion to write. It all started with being a newspaper reporter. Then I became a researcher which led me to meeting Sara Jane Moore. I ended up writing a book about her even though I never had any interest in writing books. "Books are too difficult to write. They take too long I'm a journalist. I write 1500 words and I'm done."

Well, we know how that ended up. I learned about "creative nonfiction" genre. I took classes in creative writing so I could write my book so it would read like a novel. Think Truman Capote. I don't know how to do anything else. I'm a writer and I've always been a writer.It's my identity and whatever form it takes doesn't matter. I just have to write.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I am trying my hand at a non-fiction book as we speak, @gspieler

However, I have developed a casual, friendly 'voice' rather than a strong, independent one. I wonder if that matters, though? I also keep slipping into tales and stories when I am providing evidence.

I think it's wonderful that you have found your passion in writing. It certainly is an extraordinary and wonderful way of communicating.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay, I agree, I often bang out a 1500 word story pretty quick. But the editing, and re-arranging might take me weeks. Is Ok, I have a lot to learn.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Good reminder. I need to compile on the poetry I wrote about my son during his younger days.

@gspieler That's amazing for you to be able to write many words. For my case, I have been trying to find the correct words to explain about my feelings and perceptions. Oftentimes, it is short. Thus writing a short story keeps me moving. When I do too many work, unexpectedly I am neglecting my own self-care, needs and reach to exhaustion. Thus I feel burnt out.

How do you handle people's criticism?

Throughout my experiences, I feel so tired of too many doings. I realize that people have lack of understanding me.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
It's not usually inspiration that I am lacking in. It's motivation.

Another problem I often have is the inspiration hits when I away from my computer.

When I get back to the keyboard, I think, "What was that idea again?"

Got a solution for this?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@tienny have tou tried journaling before you write?

That might be a good way to let your feelings out, sort through what's going on, and clear your head. Then you can write better, longer pieces.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@jmolan editing can take as long if not longer than the writing.

I have learned to edit as I go. It saves a lot of time down the track.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @jmolan I have a couple of ways of editing. After I've written something and I feel I have a strong draft, I let it sit overnight. Without fail, I find better ways of saying something. Of course, this only works when I have 24 hours to deliver something.

Then, when I feel I really have a completed piece, I print it out. Again, without fail, I will find incomplete sentences, grammatical errors and again, a better way of saying something. I have learned, and many of my writer friends say the same thing, I miss something on the screen that I find in hard copy. Never fails. Perfect, clean copy is essential to a professional writer.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@gspieler I couldn't agree more!

I written 13 books over 25,000 words. I always wait days, sometimes weeks, before a read through on screen, but the crunch is seeing the words on paper.

I also use a technique where I print the book out in the format (size) it is going to be published in. That way I can see, and hear when I read it out loud, if I need to reiterate something I mentioned 3 or 4 pages ago.

Then...
I send it out to anyone silly enough to want to read it for more edits
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew You need to use the voice recording option on your phone. Tell your phone your great ideas, then play them back when you are in front of your computer.

But, to be honest if you are not motivated then perhaps your topic is not inspiring you the way it should??
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay good idea on the recorder!

If i were honest I might admit that it's not as much a lack of motivation as it is having become lazy. IF I were honest.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew if you were really motivated you wouldn't feel laziness, perhaps??
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

I think I am running out of excuses.

Perhaps I just need to get back to work.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay 13 books!!! Wow, you are very prolific. So impressed.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay That's amazing. I feel so impressed of your time and dedication. At the same time, I feel so down for spending my time to find work and working my ass off. In the end, my portfolio suffers.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
My best friend is a very successful water color artist. A rare combination of talented artist and business man. He has told me in various ways, "I'll start painting at 9 a.m. It's my job, it's what I do, and thats when I will do it."
He said the classic wanna be's search for inspiration, to ge motivated by a great idea. They obsesses over the materials, their studio, another trip to the supply store for just the right brush. He can't engage in time suckers. He paints.
Not a single writer I've read of can escape the hard work to write. Actually Ernest Hemingway did, he said "Writing is easy, you put your fingers on the keyboard, and bleed all over it."
My personal favorite, a real pro, with a weekly newsletter on writing. http://www.stevenpressfield.com
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Jack is right. I've become lazy.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @gspieler I've written and published 13 books as well, some fiction over 120,000 words, some shorter fiction and non-fiction, plus two adult colouring books based on when I lived in France. (Check them out on Amazon. My name is Wendy Dewar Hughes.)

The questions you need to ask yourself as a writer is: Do I really want to do this? Why?

Some people just want to have written but don't really want to do the work. Others want to write for the joy of it, in which case, sitting at a computer all day is no big deal because you love the process.

In my work as a writing and publishing coach, I've helped my clients write and publish nearly 50 books. Sometimes you need help to get the job done, but if it's something that is important to you, you need to find a way. If it's not important, go do something that you love more.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
I spoke to a group of writers who, the majority, had written something in their lives and called themselves writers. But most had not written anything new in ages.

I tried to kindly tell them, but probably failed at it, "You all are not writers. You are wroters. If you want to be a writer, you have to write."

Now, I am in danger of becoming a wroter ... or not.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay, wholly smokes! We have some talented, accomplished folks here, I'm honored!
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28693 44 30
destitute