BillBelew.com
HumorInspiration

What are you reading now? And why?2723

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What are you reading now?

Are you reading for pleasure or for business or mixing the two?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
I'm reading for pleasure. Rarely do I invest in the second book in a series after getting the first one free or inexpensively, but I got hooked on Elizabeth Forkey's YA series, Infectious. I have seldom felt so connected to the characters as I do in her first two books. Unfortunately, it is poorly edited, and that distracts me a LOT. Fortunately, most of the mistakes fall into on three or four categories, which means I can almost see a mistake coming and try to ignore it.

However, I'm so busy with my work-in-progress, the fourth novel in my Altered Hearts series, that my reading time is limited. I hit 51,000 words today, however. Since my goal is 80,000 I can almost see light at the end of the rough draft tunnel.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner

Curious abt the word count goal. Why 80,000 and not some other number?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Good question, Bill. My first novels all ran around 100k words, and I expected everything I'd ever write to be about the same length.

The last couple of manuscripts ran more around 80k, and I didn't feel like I'd left out anything. Regardless of Hunger Games and Harry Potter, most young adult novels (so I'm told) are more apt to be 80k at most, and my most recently published YA book was that length.

Although I've never been a seat-of-the-pantser, I'm not an outliner, either. Yet with the past two manuscripts I haven't had nearly as good an idea of the details as I was going into my writing. With this book, I've quite honestly prayed day by day about what to write that day, and it's come.

At this stage, I can almost see what's going to happen between now and the 80,000th word. However, I don't feel like the ultimate number is up to me. If the story isn't complete at 80k I'll keep writing.

My first edit of a rough draft typically adds another 5-10k words. Subsequent edits reduce the word count again.

Uh, I'm not sure I answered your question, Bill. Maybe I should've just shrugged and said, "Beats me. Just seems like a good number." *big grin*
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I'm reading Sketches by Boz, the earliest works of Charles Dickens. It is the original version so it can be hard going, but his brilliance, humour, and empathy for others shines through.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner I always find the editing process different for each book I write. I learn so much more each time I edit.

At the moment, I am editing a 40,000 word non-fiction book. I am hoping to get it up to 50k, and so far so good. It's on 44k now.

I think it is important to set word goals. It makes us work harder, and there is a wonderful sense of achievement when we have reached them.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I'm presently reading a non-fiction book titled- Quiet (The power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking) by Susan Cain. Why? The title is self-explanatory. I only read non-fiction books.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I couldn't agree more, Susan. :-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur, I rarely read nonfiction, but as an INTJ introvert, I have to say that book you'rereading sounds great!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I am reading Understanding Trump by Newt Gingrich.

The election proved that there were so many ppl who did not have a clue what they were talking abt.

My dad always said, "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see." I reckon that what we read online falls under the hearsay category.

I think my dad was right....again.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner

For a long time I waa an ITNJ,. But then I changed, I think. Juat because I could.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I've long believed that the majority of writers are introverts. I'm thankful that doesn't make me antisocial. :-)
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Usually, I read for knowledge, practical lesson, understanding others' perception and lastly on understanding myself.

Currently, I am reading http://hsperson.com/books/the-highly-sensitive-person/ in a way to have self-understanding and self-management. Because when someone look at me, I can't do the work. However, when nobody is looking I can do and perform the work very well. I have been questioning myself about my issue. Someone recommended me this book.

Though I am an introvert, when with people, I can be very social.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I read for relaxation and for business. I carry my Kindle with me most everywhere so I can fill in the waiting gaps with reading. I've been re-reading Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone's Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude most recently. I would recommend it to everyone.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
29722 14 14
destitute