BillBelew.com
Business AdviceNetworking

Let's Discuss: Referrals -Giving & Receiving2728

Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I know that several of you are power-networkers, so I'm sure you have experience in managing referrals. I've written on the topic, but don't have a lot of practical experience (IYI). I know that in some industries there is are understood rules that money changes hands when referrals are made.

However, I'd like to discuss the referrals that you give and receive without monetary compensation.

How and when do you refer someone to a friend or colleague?

When you receive a referral from someone in your network, how do you express thanks?

It is such an honor when someone trusts your work enough to tell their friends about you. Does anyone feel extra pressure when someone else puts their reputation on the line by recommending you?

BTW: For those who are considering investigating how to use referrals for your business, they coined a new name for the process. It's called "Connection Marketing" now.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Connection Marketing ... heard it first from you.

Those are great questions and I am interested in the answers of others as well.

I think I learned the lesson far too late. If I know someone who can do a job that I can't for someone else, I refer them. No questions asked and no expectations of being paid a commission or otherwise.

This past weekend, I got three referrals at a conference from a fellow who attended a Meetup of mine some other time. He asked for nothing. And I don't think he was paying it back or forward or sideways for something I gave him at a Meetup. We just saw an opportunity for one another and shared.

I know a fellow who seems to be one to two people away from just about anyone. A frat brother is now working here or there ... that kind of thing.

He'd be able to kill the whole connection marketing thing.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
"Connection Marketing" is actually the trademarked name of a company founded in LA in 2005. The name is also used by several other companies so, at some point, there is likely to be a round legal battles.

The more generic term, relating to the same concept, is relationship marketing. It's been around a long time but the modern focus began with Seth Godin and Joe Vitale in the late 90s and early 00s.

It is embodied in the concept of inbound marketing.

Second only to organic (46%), referrals account for about 29% of website traffic and web business over all.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
One of my first gigs involved reading a book about relationship selling. It has been interesting to learn more about the concept and see its application outside of direct sales.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I used to belong to a networking group that calculated the monetary benefit from each referral. Our group was one of the most successful in the region because the referrals earnt a lot of money. However, this was because everyone genuinely cared about everyone's success. It was a group of 30 people who happily recommended other businesses because they knew and trusted the workmanship and expertise of each member of the group. I'm still friends with a few of those people and we still refer to each other if we can.

In my honest opinion referrals only work when they are done with no thought of return and are genuine.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Referrals ... isn't every business built on referrals.

I use and teach my clients to use a referral script to generate referrals ... and the different types of referrals ... referrals are generally given freely with no expectation other than to appreciate a job well done (in some way).

Some great info in this thread...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
referrals only work when they are done with no thought of return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
referrals are generally given freely with no expectation other than to appreciate a job well done

Absolutely. And not only referrals. If you build your entire business this way -- indeed your entire life -- you will be amazed at the positive growth you will experience.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
29722 7 7
destitute