BillBelew.com
Content CreationCustomer Service

Does anyone write web copy for businesses?2734

Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I mean the content for individual web pages about the businesses products or services. I am working on a project and just sent the client a long list of questions. I wonder if they'd rather I just wing it and get the thing done.

How much information do you need to get started on a project? Are your clients usually receptive to providing input?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to insist that my clients give me a free hand, as that stops the continual waiting game... and most clients like it and end up with a much better website... I once designed a small ten page website based on two sentences of information...

Suggest you take control once you decide on the best outcome for your client.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I tell people what to write. Is that the same thing?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
If the client wants something written, the client really should give you something to work with -- which can be based on the questions you ask.

A story of annoyance:
I walked away from a couple of pseudo opportunities - it was clear there was no business plan, that the questions I was asking was effectively building it for them. At which point I offered to generate the plan for them at the discounted rate of $15,000, 50% up front, non-refundable. It's a way of politely telling someone to leave for all eternity. (For low-budget starters, that's more than enough to chase them away. And yes, an actual business plan is worth more than that.)

That doesn't always work. Someone I know got stuck working for a client he didn't care for -- his extremely exaggerated bid was accepted. Paid 3x higher than normal - he managed to live with it, and the duration was less than one year.

I think I could live with that "failure".
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the input. I decided that if I felt I needed more information to complete the site, then I just needed to ask for it. The client is relying on my judgment and it is up to me to tell them if I don't believe we can accomplish their goals without more input.

@rcayeras I need to learn to write business plans. That sounds like a lucrative field. (I'd have to hire someone to do the math though.)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras What type of business plan is that? Does it mean you create the plan, strategy, marketing plan for the business?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
I recently completed a project for a company that wanted me to rewrite their web site content. It is a cyber-security company and their site was all techno-jargon. It didn't speak to anyone.

I asked a bunch of questions, mostly around what was their goal in a rewrite?

I suggested that their site should be understood by everyone: Tech folks, business folks and just about anyone who happens to drop by.

My mantra when I was an analyst at Gartner for all tech companies: Why do I care and what will "it" do for me?

When a site can answer those questions, you have a winner. Now, I'm not the subject expert. I take the technology info and create a readable and informative site that satisfies everyone. You have to have enough of the technology to speak to the tech experts and then translate that to the business people who may be interested in the solution.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny More like creating a new company -- such as defining the product and service and what is needed to do any of that. One "founder" wanted to jump in and get rich quickly - with minimal investment of $, effort or thought.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras Is that why such people find me for being slow and fork out too much? In the end, I have to find part-time work that I feel burnt out.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
We just launched a duplicate site for a new client.

First order of business... web copy.

He did a relatively good job on the first site ... but it needs to be tweaked = updated and more focused.

The new site needs to be rewritten and focused.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28693 10 10
destitute