BillBelew.com
authorsBusiness Advice

Why You Create Your Own Platform Online2735

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I had a long phone call with an author friend.

Her story reminded me of other similar stories ... of what happens when you build your presence on someone else's platform.

We all know stories of people who had their platforms yanked out from beneath them after building on Facebook, LinkedIn, Blogspot ... and so on.

This author friend allowed a book publisher to have her book. But when the recession hit, they stopped marketing it. She never got her money out of her effort (she got some) ... and she can't get her book back.

Sound familiar.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew. I'm not sure I understand? A publisher bought her book and put it on their Website. Why didn't she also have her own author website? Why does their publishing problem have to do with her own marketing?

I understand when a book goes out of print, but she should have the rights to print it elsewhere.

Or, I don't understand what happened or the relationship here, me thinks.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
sounds like a copyright lawsuit on the author's behalf.....a person's intellectual property is sacred
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

She got a publisher (UK). They sold a bunch. Then the recession. Now they won't do any marketing or let her have her book back.

BTW ... I will be at South Bay Writers meeting this evening. You?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons Beats me. I probably should pay more attention when I am listening.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
Now they won't do any marketing or let her have her book back.

It's a matter of contract, not copyright.

When you sign a publishing contract be sure you know what you are signing. You NEVER have to sign the contract they present. You can edit, change, remove, or add anything. If they say you can't you should never deal with them -- no matter what they are offering unless it is a total purchase of your book rights at an amazing price. If it is the latter you should look even more closely.

My guess is that @Belew's contact contracted their book rights to this specific company but without getting the company's written (contracted) commitment to promotion and sales numbers, and connecting the book rights to the performance. Fail to perform (promo, etc.) rights revert to the author. No problem.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
There you go again @Rev ... convincing me I should pay attention more when my friend talks.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks for the clarification. How frustrating. Question: What about the e-book rights?

Re South Bay CWC, no. I'm a member of the San Francisco/Peninsula branch. Rarely go to the South Bay branch meeting.

We meet on the third Saturday of the month in Redwood Shores.

http://cwc-peninsula.org/ Love to have you join us. Have you done a presentation for our branch yet?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

I'd like to visit sometime.

Nope ... no presentation to you all. I have done a bunch of other CWC groups ... as far south as San Fernando and Apply Valley, cousin of Silicon Valley, I think. ... and Sacramento and and ...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I am out of town the 19th of this month. Maybe the September one.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew..I'm sending a note to our VP that schedules speakers strongly suggesting she contact you for an engagement on building a blog. Can't believe we missed you? Hope we can schedule in? I know we have some empty slots.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Well, thank you for that!

I love hanging out with writers ... usually. 8-)

That's why I am heading to SBW this evening.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just writing a post on this very topic
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
I'm just writing a post on this very topic

And ....?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of funny in that this forum is built on someone elses platform ...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Steve

It is?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29622 16 16
destitute