BillBelew.com
Business Advice

Taking Advantage of Freelance Sites2736

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Fiverr, Upwork, GigSalad, Thumbtack, Craigslist, too.

Am I the only one who has learned that these sites make money by saying you will get exposure. You will.

But ... what happens ... Gigsalad for example.

Lots of folks will search out Gigsalad to find someone to do a job for them ... then ask for a quote ... but without much real intention of hiring the person on Gigsalad.

They just want to know how much it costs ... so they can ask their cousin or someone else nearby.

Do you have this kind of experience? I have seen it far too often.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
Forget all those sites (they charge creatives a fee or take a cut) and just launch your own. You bypass all that hassle like people wanting to know how much and you can offer your portfolio directly to the global audience (based on your keywords)
Post 2 IP   flag post
It's too crowded there anyways ... and folks don't go there any more.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I used to get most of my clients from a freelance site. I still get many of my clients from the same platform. But now, I am also receiving referrals from clients who I met through the platform. Recently I picked up a new job from someone who saw the work I did for a freelance platform client and approached me.

So, I did get exposure and income and still do. But there are probably hundreds if not thousands of freelancers who don't land any gigs or are scammed for every one who makes it.

ETA: For my creative child, we plan to build out her platform and promote her work via multiple venues. But for me, logging in saying "I can do that" and being hired in a very short time frame works quite nicely.

As Bill mentioned in another post, anytime you don't own your platform you are at risk of losing your platform.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@TParker

Yeah. I knew that you were one of the few who made a freelance site work. And they probably still do ... but they are so crowded ... and the trolls have found their way as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Just read this ... "243,161 WordPress projects have been completed on Freelancer.com as of January 2015. That's a total value of $60,571,205."

That was as of nearly 3 years ago!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
and folks don't go there any more.

I know lots of people who don't go to freelance sites, especially the cheap ones. I also know lots of people who make a living promoting themselves on freelance sites -- mostly they are from 3rd. world countries where they can live on a few dollars a day.

But that's not the whole story. Some people right here in USA, or in Australia, or Canada, or UK, or EU, make great money freelancing. When I put my book together on the subject I met and interviewed lots of successful freelancers.

Some folks do go there any more!

http://wizardsplace.com/downloads/wizs-guide-successful-online-freelancing/
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Rev

Lots of strategies will work. The operative word being work.

They have to be worked.
Post 8 IP   flag post
30322 8 8
destitute