BillBelew.com

Authors, Are You Sick of Social Media?2739

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Authors, Are You Sick of Social Media?

I have been writing and publishing for seven years, and to be honest I am sick of creating tweets and posts in the hope of selling my books.

Are you?

How much posting do you do online each day or week?

What happens when you get sick or have to step away from your computer for a long time?

Be honest - is it worth it?

Here is an article I wrote about what I believe is the solution to being found online - Blog posts which just about live forever and are sharable to all social media platforms (see here).

Do you agree with me or are you smashing it with your social media content?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Hanging out in social networks is a slog. You simply have to outshout, outperform, outglitter your competition. You need deep pockets and/or incredible luck to win at this 'game.'

On the other hand, creating a meaningful blog that scratches an itch will be found. Your people will come to you. If you write well and nobody comes, you will have learned that nobody else cares as much as you do abt the same things you care abt. That's worth knowing, too.

If you only have the time to do blog anything else ... blog. There will be a time when your blog content is deep enough that you will no longer need to blog as often.

How will you know when that time is here? You will be too busy speaking, working or traveling to blog as often as you used to.

Blog.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew "out glitter" I like that term!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure I'm a social media failure. I canceled my Facebook account a couple of years ago as I was sick of being marketed to by my writing buddies. "Come see me speak," "buy my book" "attend my workshop"....Enough already.

Then, as I humbly admit, when things turned in my favor, I started it back up. Hypocrite me. I have a Twitter account that I never check. I'm not on Instagram. From my perspective, I don't think Facebook is an effective way to sell books. I don't have any numbers, but from people I know, Facebook, for the average author, doesn't work.

Blogging? Don't know. I have a blog on my website, I also have a Huffpo blog site that's mine. Then there is posting to Twitter and LinkedIn. I have no way to tell if it amounts to anything.

Social media? Ugh.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
also writing blog posts (I'm learning), can be accentuated by writing in your niche on "popular topics" (and I know that is what everyone is already focusing on, so it's even getting simpler to understand)....how to find them? Use BuzzSumo - type in a topic related to your discipline - that top one (all top ones are most popular) is clicakble via "retweets" and "shares".....write a better or more detailed article and post it to your blog (right?).....don't stop there . . . (am I getting it now?) - I think so. Clicking those buttons on the right, show "retweets" of the article you wrote better about. Send an email to those "re-tweeters" something to the effect:

"Hi, I saw you retweeted the post about (losing weight or whatever) and thought you might be interested in sharing my post also. Thank you very much, Dan"

Send as many out as you can (without losing your cool)....you can expect about a 10% response rate. I've taken the advice here (since last April) and luckily haven't missed a day of blogging at least one article of 300 words minimum) so am nearing about 45,000 words posted since that date....rough estimate. The BuzzSumo thing is one example though, on how to find others out there
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

You are a great example of what I would like to talk about with other authors ... if that happens.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

This is called piggybacking.

Lots and lots of folks take advantage of someone else's success, in this case visibility and piggy back on it to get visibility of their own.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons Wow. This is really helpful. Thank you. Now I have a way to see if I can get better coverage. Thank you!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I just learned something Belew.....thanks (Yes, I heard the term in the past....never associated it in that manner)....are you familiar with 'CamelCase' writing? I mean, if you for example hash-tag something on Twitter, hashtag camel casing your text makes it simpler to read i.e. #BillBelewOnTwitter or #PiggyBackingIsCool etc. I'm going to camel case my next hash tags soon
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Yup... I knew abt CamelCase ... we old guys can learn, can't we?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I been through the desert on a horse with no name....I mean a camel, while texting camel case . . . .wait, there's no wi-fi out here damb it
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I hate Social Media. I assumed I hated it as I am an extreme introvert. I hate the constant self selling an author is now expected to do. I would much rather spend my time researching an idea, revising a manuscript, or the second most dreaded, hated, must do thing: submitting work to publishers than get on SM sites and publicize myself. Frankly, I'm not seeing much benefit to the self promos, other than announcing hey to those who don't know it, I wrote a book. But the constant buy me buy me buys that I see from authors makes me disheartened. I have a blog that I write on very little currently. I do need to do more with it. I do tweet some, usually quotes and retweets when I am in a hurry and feel I must do something with it but too much SM takes up precious time that I would rather spend with my dogs. In case you are unsure about my feelings, I HATE SM! But I like chatting occasionally with you guys because I have learned a great deal from all of you and gaining knowledge is never a waste of time.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts A kindred spirit.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@gspieler You summed it up beautifully ... agh!

I just see a roundabout of buy my books by my books and nothing else from authors.

It's exhausting just reading them nevermind about posting them.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts I appreciate your honesty.

And you are so right. Why spend all that time on SM when you could be writing or spending time with your family and the dogs?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I haven't made a Facebook post since the first of April....once I start, I feel obligated to continually go back and respond, share, say "thanks", wish someone a "happy birthday" etc. Not to mention all the political speech, everyone has something to say about politics. I'm blogging, so have no time - I'll tweet and that's it...oh, and post on LinkedIn feed. I am also on StumbleUpon
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @DansCartoons @Julesthoughts Seems like we are all in agreement here. Nice to have so much good company.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29622 17 17
destitute