BillBelew.com
Writers Block

41 Quotes about Writers Block2752

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Writer’s Block Quote #17

“In my younger days dodging the draft, I somehow wound up in the Marine Corps. There’s a myth that Marine training turns baby-faced recruits into bloodthirsty killers. Trust me, the Marine Corps is not that efficient. What it does teach, however, is a lot more useful. The Marine Corps teaches you how to be miserable. This is invaluable for an artist. Marines love to be miserable. Marines derive a perverse satisfaction in having colder chow, crappier equipment, and higher casualty rates than any outfit of dogfaces, swab jockeys, or flyboys, all of whom they despise. Why? Because these candy-asses don’t know how to be miserable. The artist committing himself to his calling has volunteered for hell, whether he knows it or not. He will be dining for the duration on a diet of isolation, rejection, self-doubt, despair, ridicule, contempt, and humiliation. The artist must be like that Marine. He has to know how to be miserable. He has to love being miserable. He has to take pride in being more miserable than any soldier or swabbie or jet jockey. Because this is war, baby. And war is hell.”
― Steven Pressfield

Read the other 40 quotes about writers block
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
You just caused me to germinate this cartoon gag which I am claiming ©opyright to:

Wife asks haggard/exhausted looking writer (5:00 oclock shadow - hair messed up, bags under eyes) sitting at PC or composer:

"How's your article on writer's block coming along honey?"
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
How is your cartoon gag? I would love to read on your inspiration?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@tienny I didn't draw the cartoon yet, but will soon! If you have a personal email address, I'll attach it if you want to see it. I haven't blogged about it yet, as I was in the midst of two recent lengthy posts I'm trying to finish up. Thanks for asking! You just never know where a good saleable idea will come out of the clear blue. Keep laughing!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to find I write better when I am joyful and happy.

And thanks to the "and then" writing approach I also never suffer from writer's block.

I don't think I can afford to suffer from writer's block anyway.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@DansCartoons ha ha ha ... I am looking forward to seeing it too.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Can I post it on here?@SusanDay
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay I've had "cartoonists' block" - seriously
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons You can reach me at tienny@rocketmail.com.

@SusanDay At times I go through writer's block. At times I go through visual block. The medium often change until I feel so overwhelmed. Wish to work with people.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@tienny cartoon soon to come in your in-box! thanks for having a sense of humor!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
The reason most people can't write is because they don't have anything to say.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons I love humour.

@belew It depends. Some people have something to say but overwhelmed with too many things going on in their lives.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29134 12 12
destitute