BillBelew.com
Organic SearchSEO

Getting Lousy Search Results2767

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Is it just me?

I did a couple of searches over the weekend. I don't remember exactly just what. I think I was trying to find out the birthday for some actor in some program I was watching.

I clicked on several ... more than 3 search results. Less than 20 words and none of them answering my query.

This is just one isolated incident that I remember. But it's not the only one.

I am finding that my search queries are getting WORSE results, not better.

Am I the only one?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
No. You are not the only one. Sometimes I encounter this issues. Sometimes I get it right. Sometimes someone gives me the correct keywords.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely not! I am finding that if it's not "trending" it's hard to get answers to basic questions and sometimes the answers I get contradict each other.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
What search strings are you using to find what you want? Disambiguation is a big problem when asking search engines to find what you want?

I use the Boolean method, mostly, but there are much more. See below

1.) The hyphen search string: Omits any word placed after the actual hyphen. For example, Internet -marketing
2.) The wildcard search: The wildcard search * Insert the * symbol instead of a word.

3.) The date range search: 2008 january-2008 july

4.) The exact search: Put quotes “” around words. This cuts out irrelevant results

5.) Blog keyword search: writing inurl:blog. You can also use the search term inurl: to restrict the search to page URLs inurl:writing which also includes blogs.

6.) The file type search: Find PDF’s, PPTs, spreadsheets (xls) business filetype:pdf

7.) The safe search: Excludes all adult content from the results: safesearch:online

8.) The link search: link: www.gerispieler.com

9.) The site search: If you want to find information on only the one website you are best off to use the following search term to find the most accurate results: site:gerispieler.com
10.) Find stuff using either or results: marketing OR writing

11.) The definition search: define:writing

12.) Boolean search: And, Or, Not, +: Example- Portland AND Oregon, Oregon NOT travel.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I've actually been noticing, and commenting on, my searches giving more right answers on page one of the SERPs. Maybe I'm getting all your Google juice, @Belew. Sorry.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Well that explains why my results are so bad. You got all the good mojo.

Or Google doesn't have enough to go around.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

As per my answer in the other thread, I expect it is the difference between "I like presents," and "I like presence!"
Post 7 • IP   flag post
29134 7 7
destitute