BillBelew.com

Something I've Noticed On Facebook2771

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
People who feel they can successfully run their business from a facebook page and yet seek out websites where they can promote their pages!

If websites are so good for promoting their business, why don't they have their own?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I've seen a lot of interest in Facebook Groups such as the ones you've mentioned Rev. But I'm not active enough in any of the groups to note that trend you're seeing. I agree, owning your own real estate has always been a safe bet.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev and @TParker I couldn't agree more.

Authors in particular will tell you they are promoting from a FB page only, and they don't need a website.

How foolish!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
I look at FB, Twitter etc. as "social" platforms. Secondary, to one's own web site. When you launch your own domain & URL, you tell your "friends" or associates about it on "social"....am I perceiving it wrong?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay What you said may be true of a number of independently published authors, but I only (mostly) hang around with authors who attend writers conferences and/or belong to ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). Many of us have websites, and those who don't are constantly being told they should. The theory of Facebook for them is to connect with readers, not to try to sell books there. Of course most of us ignore that when we have a new release coming, since we need to let as many of our readers as possible know. *G*
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner Is being a member of SCBWI counts?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@tienny Being a member of any legitimate, active, group can be good IF you make positive use of it for learning, sharing, and engagement.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tienny No idea. I was just talking about writers in the circle I hang with. :-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner

Why do authors hang out with authors and expect to get better book sales.

Why not hang out with people who star in your book? Pastors maybe.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Being a member of any legitimate, active, group

People do business with people.

I have come to find out that the online world is a good place to get to know people ... but people are more likely to do business with you once you pick up the phone or meet over coffee. The online space is just another place to meet people.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew Good question. I'd like to think we hang out together so we can help one another. That's true among Christian authors, anyhow. And I think we relate well to one another because we're all going through the same kind of struggling--writing, editing, looking for an agent, looking for a publisher, and--whoops!--marketing, of course.

Yes, we are supposed to hang out with the people who "star" in our books. That's something I have yet to become good at. *huge sigh*
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner

The camaraderie is important. No question there. But it doesn't sell books nor does it reach your readers.

Why not create a group that targets your readers?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
IF you make positive use of it for learning, sharing, and engagement.

I think you focused on the wrong part of my comment.

In the last 15 years I have only met face to face in person with 3 or 4 of my clients, and the one the resulted in the most business was the one where the meeting was the outcome of several years of exceptional business between us, not the start of it. And not because I'm an Ogre or something. I can readily sell in person. I can't remember when last I lost a sale or failed to make a deal over coffee. The simple point is, it does not require face to face engagement to do business. The Internet gives us all the tools we need to meet, engage, and close, all the deals we choose.

The key is in the engagement. When people know who you are and what you deliver they will do business with you -- IF you treat them fairly and IF you deliver what they need. No need to charm them. Just be honest, and honestly who you are.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev It's good to be honest. However, also need to create healthy boundaries.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I learn from my mistakes.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
29622 15 15
destitute