BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness Advice

Question of the Week - Got Answers?2772

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am experimenting here with days and activities.

Yesterday we did promotion Tuesday. That worked fairly well for a first try.

Today I will try a question of the week.

The question - "If you had a do over, what one thing more than any other would you do differently?"

We're talking marketing here ... but you can veer off if you like ... but not too far.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
Uh. slightly related to marketing. I wouldn't have been in such a rush to publish my first novel. Only after attending conferences and reading writing books did I realize how much more there was to writing a good novel than being grammatically correct. *LOL*
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner

Why not do a rewrite?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Feel free to laugh at me. I started answering you thinking it related to one of my other posts.

I have done a total rewrite. I can't feed my unpublished manuscripts to my new (small) publisher but so fast. *G* The newest manuscript take priority.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to slightly veer from the full premise of your question and answer it with a different slant.
I would not have gotten married nor would I have listened to my mother.
Now I'll tie that statement to your question.
My mother had a very narrow concept of the possibilities that existed in the world. She felt I only had the choice of being three things in life: a secretary, a teacher or a nurse. My father had told me I could do whatever I wanted. Unfortunately, he passed before I started high school. In college, I had wanted to major in psychology and creative writing. My mother kept complaining that I would never get a job in those fields, I would never be able to support myself and I needed to support myself because who want to marry someone who looked like me. My gut was wiser, I found out.
As for why not marry my ex: He was a chemical engineer who had 8 colors in his crayon box. Artistic talents were something he could not understand. It made him angry when I made more money working less hours and having fun at my work. He hated that he could only read stories to the kids, I told them stories. When the youngest was nearing the end of high school I decided I would go back to my first love; writing. So I did but I also had to choose whether to stay in my marriage where I would not be supported or trust that God would provide a way for me to use the gifts I had been given by him as a way to support myself. Hum..Let's see write and feel joy, or stay in my spousal role as a housekeeper and feel miserable. I chose to be happy. which If I had not listen to my mother but to the little voice inside saying run, seek advice from someone else, I would not have spent so many years away from what I love almost as much as my dogs:writing.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts

Have you considered you are a better and more impassioned writer now because of your experiences raising kids and putting up with a husband and a mother who did not have the same interests as you?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Actually no!I've not. I do believe the people I have meet in life and the things I have experienced make my writing much more interesting than it would be if I have not had chances to travel so many places. I am realistic enough to know that all things go according to the grand plan laid out for our lives. If I had walked away from the marriage sooner, I may not have the money I do now. My ex is a trust fund baby which worked to my advantage when it came time to split the assets. He was able to buy me out and so I am able to now focus solely on writing and keep out of debt. My publisher told me to think of myself as a small business and to work like an owner just starting out. I think it was wise advice and If I had to work full time, I would not be able to commit fully to writing without sacrificing time for things like sleep.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthoughts
am able to now focus solely on writing and keep out of debt

Have you considered working/writing as if you had NO money at all?

Walt Disney said one of the worst things that happened to him was the success AFTER Snow White. They had too much money and consequently lost their creativity and desperate drive to produce good stuff.

Creativity thrives in hard times. Make the money inaccessible unless you meet a certain threshold. Pay yourself for output and do NOT take more.

Just thinking ...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
To start with, I don't have money assessable to me. I set up to ony have so much deposited every two weeks, roughly the same amount as I would get from a salaried position. I have to make it last until my next payday. But because I am right now in the position of not needing to work to pay bills, I have the time it takes to do the writing and the marketing and all the promo garbage I hate doing. If I worked for an income, I would be spending money to pay others to do these things. I pay my editor and I pay my proofreader, those are two I will always find money for.
Now as my money will not last forever, I am taking advantage to build up an income stream while I can. Not only did God bless me with a husband who could buy me out, he also blessed with parents who worked hard and established and ran 5 companies. i got to see first hand what it takes to make a living doing what you love. I also know it is in God whom I have to trust and I do with my whole heart. he gave me the gift of writing in which to earn my keep. He'll open doors and see to it that what i have now will last as long as it needs to as long as I do not spend foolishly.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
God bless me with a husband

Is that the same husband you mentioned earlier? 8-)

Glad you have this figured out. Good for you.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Yep! Just had one. The blessing of having a trust fund ex is his ability to pay lump sum amounts for the houses we owned for alimony. Never will we be back in court fighting over money.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
But you said - Quote:
I would not have gotten married

Then what?

Do not misunderstand. I am not trying to give you a hard time nor be contentious. I have been down the divorce road.

But had we not lived the life we lived, we would not be where we are ... the old James Stewart movie comes to mine. "It's a Wonderful Life."
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I see what you are saying and if you read closely I turned my words and said that yes If I had not married him then I would not be able to do what I do now. However I stand my original statement because If I had not married my ex (for the record, our marriage was not based on love but on mutual needs. I needed financial security so I could continue to make documentaries and he needed a housekeeper) then perhaps I would have married for love and been a less insecure and more extroverted person today.
In all mistakes, and situations, there is a blessing, or silver lining if you chose to find it. I chose to always find the best in everything, however if I had listen to my hear t and made the right choice years ago, I would not be starting to become who I made to be so late.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner I think many authors do the same.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@julesthoughts Thank you for your honesty. I think a lot of people can identify with yours. We certainly get stronger and wiser as we get older.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@julesthoughts

Bravo!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Though I have had many things turn out badly, or not at all, I honestly cannot think of one thing that I would do over or do differently. Each step of my life, good or bad, has led me to where I am now, and I'm really OK with that, considering the options.

Now, there was that one girl in high school... or maybe those other two... or maybe... See. It gets out of hand so easily. It's a wasted exercise. What you need to consider is what you are going to do with what you've got now. NOW is the operative word. It's all in the moment and all about presence.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Not marketing, but mom stuff- I would have sought diagnosis sooner and (different) medication later for my oldest.But he's cool now and we have a pretty good plan.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
29614 18 18
destitute