BillBelew.com

In Need Of A Little Help - Globally, Please.2779

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a powerful tool, especially for inbound marketing and developing organic traffic. Being found is what it is all about. Lots of content gets you found but lots of traffic and good SEO can get you found more.

The thing is, good SEO doesn't have to be rocket science, nor expensive! It can be done by anyone when you know how.

Testing your results is getting more and more difficult, however, because Google is factoring in things like local search and your particular search patterns. This means you will see different results than I will for the very same search term.

I've been doing a number of tests to understand this and I would appreciate a little help. Since members of this forum are from a hundred different countries or so and all over the U.S., getting several responses to the following would really be useful to me.

Please search in turn for each of these two terms and then tell me which page and which spot the site stephenbhenry.com (Stephen B. Henry) shows up. You can post your response with something like:

1) page two, spot 5

or even

2) p1-s5

and you can include other comments if you wish. Don't bother searching beyond page three. If you don't find it in the first 30 spots just say, "Not Found". Also, please don't count Ad spots at the top of the returns. Just the organic spots. Thank you for your help. Here are the two search terms:

1) Person of Interest Invictis Maneo

2) Invictis Maneo
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
1. Page 1 spot 4

2. Page 1 spot 1
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user

I am in upper midwest of states near canada border . . . . I use broadband connectivity and this screenshot off Google
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
page 1 spot 2
page 1 spot 1
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
1. page 1 spot 3

2. page 1 spot 3
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
1. P1 - S3

2. P1 - S4

I am in the Bay Area of San Jose.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
It looks like his page has propogated well and am curious how long ago it was initially launched. Did you build the site you mean? Also, as for SEO, I used his name....was page also written with keywording in mind such as "author" etc. embedded within descriptive text?
I've launched blog posts from 8 weeks ago and forgot about them and recently discovering many are on first page or results (based on descriptive keyword embedding etc.)
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Getting on page one is not a problem. Getting on page one for searches that your target audience might use is where the challenge is.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Exactly! Which iswhy I'm curious if there are search terms that were applied to the description of the index page etc. That will definitely help
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

It looked like you searched for the wrong thing (Stephen B. Henry) which, of course, would find me. The search was to be for two things:

1) Person of Interest Invictis Maneo

2) Invictis Maneo
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Thanks, everyone, for your help. This is really useful for me. And, as you can see, the results do vary.

I'll still accept reports from anyone else. The more data points the better. Thanks again!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I'll be in Mexico in a couple of weeks. Should I search from there as well?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Google is recommending InvictUs as opposed to InvictIs
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I asked my VA to search in the PI.

Both were page 1 number 3
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Yes, please. Search should be different there.

And yes, I actually used both spellings in the post in anticipation of people searching the right and the wrong. That sometimes helps in getting found for commonly misspelled words. Latin, of course, isn't common at all but the misspellings will be!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
I asked my VA to search in the PI.

Thanks for that.

I'm also wondering now if the second search (which appears to be a refinement of the first) is actually being influenced by the first, having been just completed. Does Google pick up on habits that quickly? Or does it take more than 2 a habit to make?

Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev

"anticipation of people searching the right and the wrong"

Don't you find the bots are pretty good at predicting this any way.

I searched Bill Belew.

"Showing results for little boy blue."
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Does Google pick up on habits that quickly? Or does it take more than 2 a habit to make?

Here's what I think ...

Google does NOT show you want you want to see. Google shows you what Google wants you to see.

Google will do what is best for Google, then try to convince you that it's what they (Google) think is best for you.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
1) Page 1 Spot 2
2) Page 1 Spot 1
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Member kklenner private msg quote post Address this user
P1, S1 both times
I am on Penang Island, Malaysia
Post 20 • IP   flag post
would you want another screenshot from my part of the planet? If so, what exact search term?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Sure thing, Dan. Try these two:

victus muneo
invictus maneo

Still looking for the position of the same page.
Post 22 • IP   flag post

I take the actual keyword and use it at VERY START of my page description, they say it helps. It sure can't hurt.....
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Pages aren't really indexed for a single keyword. Google indexes based on all active keywords found, filtered in accordance with their numerous algorithms. When setting the "focus keyword" in Yoast SEO, for example, you are not influencing Google towards that keyword. You are just telling Yoast to show you how well the page may do in Google for that keyword based on the page as a whole. You can, however, replace that keyword several times in Yoast, testing and optimizing the page accordingly for each.

As you can see in this test, this same page came up in one of the top 4 spots on the first page for searches of EACH of four separate keywords (or phrases). It would be impossible to put all four keywords in the optimum spots on the page. It is more important that the content reads correctly -- natural speech, good grammar, authoritative -- rather than the keywords being in any specific location on the page. In the first paragraph, not necessarily at the beginning of it, is sufficient.

I try to ensure the keyword is used in the first paragraph of the content but even that isn't really critical. Because of the variance due to locality and search habits for each person, I am glad to be any of the first five spots -- at least that's my target.

Since you cannot know which keywords (or spelling variation) people will use, optimizing content (as best as can be) for more than one keyword yields better results in my experience. But don't spend hours on it. Get into a habit, a structure, as outlined in Wiz's Baker's Dozen SEO Tips, so as to be able to write your post (including as-you-go optimization) quicker. Use the extra time to write more posts!

My own experience suggests, in most cases, 9 of those 13 suggested on-page factors will get you top 5 billing (one of the top five spots on page one) for a reasonably well written, authoritative, post. Of course, other general site-wide factors, such as total number of indexed posts, age of site, etc. affect the outcome over all. It always helps to have an aged site with an installed base of around 200 or more posts.

Notice also that the reference post is the only page or post on this topic on the entire site. It can be better to have a site focused on a single topic or niche, but it isn't required. My site isn't about TV or film or acting, and certainly not focused on the particular show, Person of Interest. Site focus is better than no site focus but, that alone, will not keep you off page one.

For most of us SEO isn't an exact science and your mileage may vary. I've seldom had trouble getting a post to page one and most often to the top 5. And the traffic that results is more of the traffic I want than not. Ultimately, that latter bit is the key.

If you search for Internet Marketing Concepts, the specific page referenced in this test won't come up in the first 10 pages. Do you know why?

And thanks again, everyone, for all the help.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Rev if you type "National Enquirer Cartoons" my page appears third under a couple more (and one of those is mine also) + the image in the article (man and wife wearing apron) appears in image results above the results. I write the content on "the fly" and not concerned on keywords or text phrases.
Many of the recent 200 blog posts I've written (since 4-1) have ended up the same in results (I have not missed a day!)....so cannot complain. I do use Yoast....but not the premium version - I don't think I need it - since last April 1st, I calculate I've written roughly 43,000 words of blog text at an average of 300 words minimum per post, acting upon advice of you, Susan etc. I don't "obsess" when writing, I just write subconsciously....probably why guys like Stephen King blow my mind who has his outrageous stream of consciousness to write the absurd phenomenal tomes he is noted for......(Addendum: I DID HAVE some assistance with a dozen or so of those 200 posts!!!! Thank you!)
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev I don't know why I receive a warning to your site.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user

P1 on top, but it wanted to spell

Did you mean: Person of Interest Invictus Maneo

Tri-Cities Washington
Post 27 • IP   flag post
29134 27 27
destitute