BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCase Study

From Zero to 140,000 Users in 6 months2786

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am preparing a case study for a pitch I have to make to an organization that overlooks a rather large group of potential writers - the day after tomorrow.

I have a study with a group of students I taught a while back.

We started with zero ... no online presence and got to 140,000 users in 6 months.

300,000+ pages viewed.

58% Google (only) organic visits.

5,000 hours on site.

Do you think these numbers work?
What else would you tell them?
What do you think they might want to know instead?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Iamstevenb private msg quote post Address this user
What economic value do your numbers represent?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Good question @Iamstevenb ... that I can't answer.

It's tough for me as a marketer - to guarantee sales ... My first priority is to bring relevant eye balls... which I define as people who have arrived via search using terms that are relevant to the target site.

Then we can decide what they are worth or if they are worth anything or if they can be converted or if we are getting the wrong people or making the wrong offer at the wrong price with the wrong message.

First we need people to test with.

Agree? Disagree?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
How many signed up for email marketing?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Iamstevenb That is also a conversion issue.

Which leads me to a question -

Should marketing efforts be measured by conversion results?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@Iamstevenb That is also a conversion issue.

Which leads me to a question -

Should marketing efforts be measured by conversion results?

If not, then what? Why do we market?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Iamstevenb

Conversion is not in the hands of the marketer.

Conversion depends on price, pitch, product, sales staff ... and so on. Those things are out of control of the marketer, no?

What if I brought someone to your site and they filled out the email contact form and nobody followed through?

Is that the marketer's fault?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
@Iamstevenb

Conversion is not in the hands of the marketer.

Conversion depends on price, pitch, product, sales staff ... and so on. Those things are out of control of the marketer, no?

What if I brought someone to your site and they filled out the email contact form and nobody followed through?

Is that the marketer's fault?

If conversion is not in the marketer's hands what is?

You see marketing as separate from the business entity. I see marketing as a part of the business entity.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
In the marketer's hands is getting visitors, eyeballs, foot traffic - physical or virtual. No?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member peterneeves private msg quote post Address this user
Conversion has to be part of marketing. Otherwise marketing can bring a ton of absolute crap traffic and think they're doing a great job. In the end the only traffic that matters is the traffic that goes to the next step (some will go to next step on subsequent visits).
Many organizations would be better served by increasing conversion; marketing is part of that in attracting the right eyeballs and not just any eyeballs.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
What and how to write blog posts is something not many people understand or do well. Is that significant?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
If you simply measure numbers then you simply get numbers. Nothing else.

@Belew, you say your job is to bring targeted eyeballs to the site. If you don't include conversions in your "marketing" plan, how then can you know they are targeted eyeballs and not just curious.

I can write words that will bring lots of people. I can make those words appear to be about your business. But, without conversions, they are just words.

@Belew, you and I completely disagree on the value of numbers; at least BIG numbers, for big's sake. To me, the key is conversion. That's the bottom line and 10 conversions out of 1000 visitors, or 10 conversions out of 10,000 visitors, is still just 10 conversions. The number of visitors, or the conversion rate, is just making yourself feel good. The bottom line is the 10 conversions. It is just what it is. and none of the other will change it.

Do the numbers and the rate help you improve the conversion? Sure. But that really just means you were wrong in the first instance. With nearly 3 decades of online marketing to learn from, surely we must be better than "get big numbers and you are bound to get some conversions" but, if not, it's someone else's fault.

Not good enough.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I think you may be right.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I changed my mind back.

Large or small numbers aside ... relevant eyeballs can be measured by source - how they got there, what brought them there (keywords), time on site, bounce rate, pages per visits, sessions per visitors

Conversion is dependent on the sales team, customer service, product performance, price, past customer experience, testimonials pro and con.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Post 15 • IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rev

I changed my mind back.

Large or small numbers aside ... relevant eyeballs can be measured by source - how they got there, what brought them there (keywords), time on site, bounce rate, pages per visits, sessions per visitors

Conversion is dependent on the sales team, customer service, product performance, price, past customer experience, testimonials pro and con.

I suppose if the marketer is not part of the company your comments make sense. An outside marketer is a hired gun with a contract to deliver...something.

But what about the kinds of people you may be speaking to? Are they more like me, someone just beginning? In my company of one (plus just a little bit of the Rev) I must be mindful of the entire process from business objectives through marketing to conversions (whether sales, additions to email lists or whatever matches my business objectives).

Maybe you can find a way to speak to both kinds of audience.

You might consider beginning with the whole process. Then establish for the small company it might be just one or two people who do everything. As companies grow some hire outside help to plan and execute a portion of the process.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Shouldn't the content the marketer creates build authrority, influence and aid in conversion rates?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Yes, it should ... aid in conversion.

Long time.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Shouldn't the content the marketer creates build authrority, influence and aid in conversion rates?

Absolutely.

content for content sake will get indexed and bring numbers. If numbers are you goal, it's just fine. But, like so many things, you have to learn your craft (or hire it done) and content development is a craft.

Do it right and the numbers you bring will be more meaningful.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I worked for a very successful fellow running a construction company. He cared about two things: happy customers and the money he put in the bank.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
29726 20 20
destitute