BillBelew.com

Book & Publishing Conferences2789

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I was just wondering if any authors on the forum have been to book or indie publishing conferences.

I see so many promoted and being on the other side of the world I often wonder how successful they are for individual authors.

Have any of you been to or even had a stand at a conference?

If so what were your experiences?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure whether AFCC 2017 is considered as publishing conferences.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Stepping off the last cruise recently, I met the head of personnel on the ship (1,200 employees) he told me his wife was an author. They both live onboard with a two and four year old. I made contact with Alinka and found a most interesting individual. Her free book https://authorremake.com/book/ has a lot in it for any author hoping to expand their reach. She talks about conferences, and tells her own story of attending. A book packed full of links and real world ideas.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jmolan Thanksfor sharing.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

My experience is that book and writing conferences are just money mills.

Gather a lot of people and collect their money and sell them hope ... then walk away.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
When I was in the process of writingy nook I attended a select writers conferences. I found them very helpful, but you must review the speakers and trend carefully. There are some great speakers and workshops. Also you can meet other writers and learn from each other.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I've been to numerous writing conferences and attended an online indie conference. I always come away with new connections, new opportunities, and new information.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@belew Why do you have to say that?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@belew Isn't conference and workshop to improve the participants?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew That's what I thought!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@gspieler @KathrynLang

Thank you, both!

I like the idea of ensuring that the speakers are right, and coming away with something useful in the end.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Even I leave with something useful.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tienny Then we are both satisfied
Post 13 • IP   flag post
The writing world is full of self-styled experts who claim to be experts and will teach you how to succeed just like they did "for a fee." This is what I meant when saying tred carefully. As a long time active member of the California Writers Club, I've seen too many people set themselves up as experts because they published one book. I saw a couple give workshops on how to land an agent and they never had an agent. You must do your homework and it's do easy now. As many fakes are just as many truly qualified people who are the real deal and you can learn a ton of useful information and get good leads.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Yes.

@gspieler I agree with you that there are many self-styled experts. How do I discern whether the writers are truly qualified? I prefer to write more books rather than being looked at.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@tienny the way I evaluate someone who presents themselves as an expert is to of course look at their experience and past clients. A lot depends on what you are looking for? Let's take editing, for example. Having published a book does not qualify me as an editor yet I have seen people advertise as editors. I know a few that say they will help you create a platform for your book when their book didn't do well. Again, what is their accomplishment?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@tienny

If someone has to convince you they are an expert, they probably aren't.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@gspieler @belew Thank you 😊 for your kind explanation. How about those who win an award for their works? Isn't that 😉 amazing? The works speak itself.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@tinny @blew. Not to constantly be the bad news bear, but here it goes again: It depends on the award. And, here I go again making everything about me, but I can give you my experience as I am the expert about myself. I have won 4 first place awards for my book. The award was for the story and research, not for my excellent grammar or editing. So, an award is not a reflection on good eciting skills.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@gspieler I think you have purrfect eciting skills
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@gspieler Is it? Is it due to my story win me the award? I thank Jesus to grant me favour with the story I have written.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay, @tinny. Sorry for my errors. I'm travelling in Italy and thumb typing on my cell phone. But to answer you question, tienny, yes, it is all about the story, but your manuscript must be as clean as possible. Otherwise bad grammar, spelling and poor editing may push you out of the running.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@gspieler Don't apologize. I was just kidding. How lucky you are to be experiencing such a great holiday.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
You guys should see how bad I type even I have a real keyboard.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@gspieler It's good to have an editor and proofreader. Isn't it?
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@tienny Always if possible. There are many ways to have an editor depending on the circumstances. If you are writing a book but it is not sold yet, hire the best professional editor you can afford. Another way to work through the process is to join a critique group and share chapters. These groups can be invaluable to the writing process. Some people have one or two friends who read for them and each other. There are many very good groups online who will read for you in exchange. Be sure you find one in your genre.

Then there are circumstances where having another set of eyes is not possible due to time constraints. For me I always let an article sit overnight. Then when I think it is ready I print it out in hard copy, take a pen and read. Without exception I find errors of all kinds. Never fails.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
29382 26 26
destitute