BillBelew.com
Email Marketing

I hate email marketing, but I am learning ..2806

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
This has been a slog.

We bought a book ... remember those. Pages bound together with glue.

We ripped it apart, scanned it and put it into an excel format.

We then crawled through it and listed up all the emails 3,000+.

We emailed out to all of them something I knew in my heart of hearts they'd be interested in. We had zero spam reports .... so far anyway.

Of those 3,000+ we tracked opens and bounces and separated them from the pack.

We emailed the unopens again ... then again, until we had a list of 1000-ish that we knew were good emails.

I emailed that list yesterday ... no spam reports. Whew! I sent them something again I knew in my heart of hearts they would want to know.

Of those 1000, so far (not quite been a day) 43.34% open rate.

Now what do I do?

The challenge, of course, is to keep delivering things this group wants to know in very small doses and have this open rate climb. No?

How do I do that?

I hate email marketing, but I am learning...
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
EMail marketing is not always a fav and you do get penalized if people opt out - some autoresponders will even ban you if you get too many unsubscribes.

Not sure what the best solution is at the beginning to get the list where you want it.

On the other hand, those are your loyal customers, and they are the ones that will buy from you.

Perhaps adding another dimension to communication which will often be better as long as you do not overdo it. That is communicating through messenger.

I have been using a system where I can gather permissions to connect through messenger and broadcast to my clients/customers - the read rate has been over 96% - I can even direct them to a page or anything I wish.

EMail is not dead, you will still need it, but...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Suggestions:

1) Identify their pain point then offer a solution
2) Tell them "your story" to connect emotionally
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Are you saying you bought a book with email addresses? That's how you developed your list?

Good luck.

Estimated sales, after hard work, less than 1%.

Build a list of people who want what you offer. Cut out the middle man. Start with a refined list and go from there. It sounds to me you are making work for yourself you don't need to make (or do!)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
49.94% open rate on 909 emails.

10% CTR on mini-survey link.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Great numbers.

How many of "something I knew in my heart of hearts they'd be interested in" dis you sell?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Great question re:sales.

How many sales usually happen on the first email to a new group of people you never met?

That's how many sales I got.

This is an email list of people I hope to create a relationship with. Then we'll see where it goes.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
4 more opens ... 50.39% of 909 emails.

A better question. How do I sustain or improve on this open rate?

Got tips?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I'm not trying to pick at your numbers, I'm just trying to look at this rationally.

An open rate that doesn't have a sales conversion factor is meaningless. Oh, it feels good. Look at all the people that opened my email. But if they are all not interested in your offer then it tells me one thing: get another offer!

Or get a different list. One way or another, the offer and the list don't match. Improving on the open rate won't do anything for you, except maybe make you feel good.

And as for "How many sales usually happen on the first email to a new group of people you never met?" the answer is, I think, lots! Or, in worst case, some.

In what might be called "traditional" list building, you develop your list by a targeted "link-bait" offer that should be designed to pre-filter those who apply to some extent. Using link-bait that everyone wants is counter productive. It's akin to buying a non-filtered list. It's just email addresses.

What you want is to pre-filter the list by having link-bait that appeals (mostly/only) to your target audience. That way you get the right people. And then you send those people the real offer.

And sure, not all of them are going to buy from the first email you send them. Even if all of them want/need what you offer they won't all buy from the first pitch for the usual reasons. The fact that it is the first pitch may be one of those reasons but, in my experience, that is way down the list in order of importance, descending.

But, if you have done your homework, some (even many) should reach the buying decision almost immediately from that first email. If they don't then you need to figure out if your writing sucks or your offer is not targeted to the audience you attracted.

But hey, all this is just my 2ยข. Your mileage may vary.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

You remind me of my wife. 8-) except you don't in a lot of ways... of course.

But she always asks ... first, soon or sooner than later, "But did you make any money?"

Nope. No money yet. Or maybe never.

But I have opened up a relationship with a group of people that I have been targeting ... and so far, they are reading.

I'll take that. For now ... or maybe I shouldn't. Beats me sometimes.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
2nd email out ... not as good. 43.35% open after 3 days.

Topic not as good. Kind of like the sequel is not as good as the original.

Need to hunker down and make sure the next email is a dinger.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Maybe this would be useful. Not recommending. Just suggesting. Crossed my "desk" this morning.

https://biz-catalogs.com/en/site/index

Discount code: UV894P7E
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Thanks for this.

The book I used was a directory that has existed for many years in the church group I belong to. I am listed in that directory and not a few people listed went to the same school I went to or a 'sister' school.

We crawled thru it ... emailed out in batches of 100-200 so as not to be accused of spamming. There's an event coming up that most if not all in the list will be attending and will surely have an interest in ... and I will be speaking at. I invited them to attend my workshop where I will be offering training for free.

Subsequent emails offered tidbits of info <1 min read that I knew they'd be interested to know and can't be found elsewhere. They want to know because I want to know and I am one of them. Can't be found elsewhere because I did the research myself.

Hope this helps clarify a bit my approach.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Belew

It's a targeted list. It makes sense. See my email (regular, not forum) and let's get together to talk more about this and other topics.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Oh, and I'm glad to be a stand-in for your wife... at least in the "nag" department!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Just just read your email. Good thoughts that I can and am willing to address.

@SusanDay is still asleep. Dem silly Aussies. Asleep whenever the rest of us are awake and working when we are asleep. Go figure.

When she responds, I'll respond.

I do like the idea of the 3 of us doing a brain dump on a private webbie.

Lets see if she is up for it. No pun intended, but it works here. 8-)
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29726 16 16
destitute