BillBelew.com

Auto-Correct, Typos, Lazy Typing2815

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
What to you think about auto-correct, typos (do they matter?), lazy typing (lol, brb), extensive use of contractions (I've, you've, etc.)...

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Rev: This is a great topic. Hits home big time.

Occasionally auto correct pops up, but it doesn't fix just what you have in your cartoon: the wrong word but spelled correctly.

I use two systems to help with grammar, punctuation, and spelling: A plagiarism checker that includes grammar and spelling correction.

Of course, the best process to check for everything is printing out the article and reading it in hard copy. Even when I think my text is perfect, I'll find something that is wrong or a phrase that is awkward.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

I have had some incredibly crude auto corrected words.

Or ... mistypes on my own - blame it on fat fingers ... that were not caught.

Too crude ... for me anyway ... to put here.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler

Thank gudeness I am allready spill really gudely and grammer a problem is not for me.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
I was born too soon...to have a computer in college, anyhow. I'll never forget the test paper I got back with a little note beside the grade: "Amazing spelling for an English major!"

I couldn't help it that four years of Spanish in high school left me incapable of spelling in either language. Ha!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner- Me too. However, I still fall victim to typos. Embarrassing. I'm supposed to be the high level professional. I have to be ultra careful. Terrified I'll miss something. Then, there goes the assignment when I appear sloppy.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@gspieler - Gee, is your name a misspelling of "speller"?

I'm on several email loops--not to mention Facebook groups--with other authors and author-want-to-be writers,and it's amazing how many of them apparently don't proofread their messages or posts before sending them.

I really try to be careful, but especially now that my laptop has several sticking keys. *sigh*
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There is an "organic" issue that kicks in with typing that is not present in long-hand writing, especially if you are a fast touch-typist, typing words and not letters.

The problem relates to "finger memory" and it often changes the word you think you want to type into the word your fingers "remember" you typing, once you start a letter sequence. For example, one of mine is "thought" instead of "though". I think the word "though" and before my fingers finish typing it my mind is already on to the next word in the sentence. My fingers finish up the word, as if on auto-pilot, but add the trailing "t" because they have typed the word "thought" many more times than "though".

This is a hazard of high-speed typing where you mentally type the words and not the individual letters. Once established, it is a hard habit to break and will not show up in spell check; the word is, after all, spelled correctly. The writer generally will not be able to spot these themselves if they just scan the text. The best way (besides having someone else check your work) is to read the text out loud (not silently to yourself). As you scan with your eye AND say/hear the words you are more likely to catch the error as what you hear yourself say is not what you expected to read.

Note: In typing this post, my fingers typed "can" in place of "scan", twice in the last paragraph, even though I clearly thought "scan". Spell check didn't catch it. Nor did I until I read the text out loud. It really is hard to find your own typos!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner re my name: Don't think so. Goes back to eastern Europe and grandfather.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@gspieler That's interesting. Names fascinate me.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Oh, so it's finger memory that causes or doesn't cause typos. My fingers must have dementia!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner I don't think any spelling or grammar rules apply to social media. People just seem to put down whatever they want, but as you say, they want to be recognised as writers and authors.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I prefer write with hands. I receive 💯 for my spelling.

There is a good, bad and good side of autocorrect.

Good:
1. Gorrect your word mistakes
2. Speed up your process

Bad:
1. Correct your typed name thus irks the one whom you address
2. Youngsters are dependent on it thus they can’t write it out except type
3. More mistakes come out compared to write on paper
4. Some people get lazy
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29614 13 13
destitute