BillBelew.com

The Worlds Shortest IQ Test2819

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Princeton psychologist Shane Frederick, the quiz assesses your ability to process information -- in essence your IQ. See if you can answer these three questions:

1. A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Post your answers below but not the solution, method, or concept. See if you agree with others.

These are not "trick" questions.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Ball costs 5 cents.
5 min.
47 days.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Ummmm

Not sure but I got -

1. 10c
2. 100 min
3. 24 days

... if they're wrong it's early and I just woke up. If they're right, I'm a genius ... lol
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with Belew
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev. The results?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Belew after thinking about it a bit more.
My first results were not correct - I didn't do the math!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew and those who agreed with him are right.

@SusanDay provided the most common incorrect answers.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
That means @SusanDay is the top un-genius?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
That means @SusanDay is the top un-genius?

She nailed it! And it means her math skills are actually great. You should see some of the anwers many others give. Of course, they have to post their answers for them to be seen.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev What are the answers? As the forum's official "in-genius" I'd like to fix the obvious deficient in my IQ
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

@Belew's answers are correct. Here's the thinking...

1. A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Total price of both items: $1.10. If the bat is $1 MORE than the ball, we can subtract $1 from the total, leaving 10¢ to explore. The $1 more bit means the left-over money must me apportioned equally to the ball and the bat (or 5¢ each). If the ball were to cost 5¢ that leaves $1.05 for the bat. $1.05 is $1 more than the ball (5¢).

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

Time is consistent. If it takes 5 minutes to make 5 widgets it It DOES NOT take 1 machine 1 minute to make one widget (the mistake most people make). The machines are running simultaneously, therefore 1 machine (any of the 5 machines) would take the same 5 minutes to make 1 widget and, thus, 100 machines would take 5 minutes to make 100 widgets.

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Attempting to work the math from the beginning, when the stone is dropped is counter productive but the common error is the idea that covering half the lake takes half the time (ie: 24 days -- the most common wrong answer). The logic is to look from the end result and realize that if the area covered DOUBLES each day, then half the full coverage would be the day before (47) and when it doubles by the next (last) day, it covers the whole lake. Thus 47 is the right answer. All the other math is irrelevant to the solution.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

You may be interested to know that Australia is considered to have some of the world's best gifted education programs. Unfortunately they are limited to about 100 schools in large population centers in New South Wales.

Canada has the broadest delivery of gifted education programs, country wide. My ex-wife taught in Humberview School, just outside of Toronto, and was involved in gifted education programs. My older daughter attended one of the top gifted education classes in the country in the small town (pop. 8500) of Shelburne, Ontario. There has long been a serious commitment to quality education at all levels across that country.

The U.S. has spent extensive sums, perhaps more per student than any other country, on studying the issue, but had been caught up in a "grade level" focus (No Child Left Behind) which, for the most part, overlooks gifted students. Despite significant rhetoric and funding, global comparisons of outcomes show the U.S. steadily falling farther and farther behind higher performing countries, currently at the lowest ebb of the last 80 years or so.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29614 12 12
destitute