BillBelew.com

Replay - Is Facebook a Waste of Time?2829

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Is Facebook a Waste of Time?

Facebook is the leading social media platform in the world. It has billions of followers and generates revenue large enough to make any small nation jealous. Nearly everyone has a Facebook business page, group or profile from entrepreneurs to big businesses. But are we suffering from social media vanity? Will the business with the most likes win? What do those likes really mean to your bottom line?

Here is the replay and don't forget to post your thoughts and ideas below. I'd love to hear them.

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

Terrific and timely!!

I am giving a presentation in two weeks and one of the questions I will get asked ... or answer even if it is NOT asked is ... "Where should I start on social media?"

Your charts and stats and commentary are very insightful.

Trying to manipulate Facebook for your own purposes is definitely a waste of time.

Giving people what they are looking for ... that's the ticket.

Thanks @SusanDay!!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
Just watched the video about Facebook. Thanks so much.

I have a strange relationship with Facebook. From my experience, I don't think I've sold one book via Facebook. I don't have any statistics, but it just doesn't seem to connect. I also have never bought a book because of what I've seen on Facebook.

I'm on it because I was told to be. I'm also on Twitter. I post on Twitter but I don't read it.

I think I'm probably missing out on networking opportunities, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to manage it all. I'm always working on building my freelance writing business as well as trying to finish my second book, plus live my life.

I could have a poor time-management issue. Not sure.

But, thanks so much for this great presentation.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

I think I bought 3 books in the past 2 weeks because of something I read on Facebook.

I was in a very active forum, that I also participate in. Somebody asked someone a question and the replier offered up a book. The topic was something I am interested in. I bought the book.

Maybe you need to be more involved with people who need what you have?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew--well, there goes my theory. Good point. Not sure how to engage people with Taking Aim? It's largely about the political activity in San Francisco in the 1970's, so a politically active audience would be the closest target market.

Thanks for the good advice.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Indeed, I didn't buy the book blindly. I went to Amazon and the author;s site and and ...

I have read one, I am 62% (Amazon stat) thru the second and I think I might have oversaid ... the 3rd one is in my queue in sample mode. But it's promising.

I have also hunted out others by the same author.

FWIW, the book that was recommended was not the recommender's own book ... but somebody else's.

Maybe you need somebody else in the right groups recommending your book .... not you.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member Mammoth1 private msg quote post Address this user
How does the paid Facebook advertising fit in?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks for your support
I put references on each side if anyone wants to do some more research.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@gspieler I feel for you. I think I have good, but perhaps not great, time management skills and I always feel like I'm not achieving anything on Facebook. I belong to a few groups to but they all seem to be right is trying to promote Fair Work and wanting you to promote their work which is ok but nobody buys.

Perhaps Bill is right we need to find groups where our target audience are hanging out.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I may be wrong.

People do business with people they know and trust or have been introduced as someone you can trust.

Build trust. Business will follow. Not the other way around.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew @SusanDay Thanks for the great observations. I actually canceled my Facebook account a few years ago. I was sick and tired of being marketed to:

Buy my book
Come to my workshop
Hear me speak
Come to my conference
Come to my reading

It's just obnoxious.

I opened a new account not that long ago and I'm very careful who I "friend" so I don't run into the same scenario. If someone begins this routine all over again, they get blocked.

So, what you both say makes sense. I need to figure out where to go?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

One day I got so mad at my 1500."close and dear" friends and their updates. I simply didnt care or even know them. I unfriended everyone I didnt want to hear from. 286 ppl were left. And I started to enjoy the platform again.

The groups function have really matured. I belong to those I want to be in and enjoy going there and interacting. Made some new 'friends' that I want to hear from. And earned some trust from ppl who have never met me. One fellow told me, "Ill be at your session at the conference. " I had no idea he was following me.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member Iamstevenb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth1
How does the paid Facebook advertising fit in?

I have an essential tremor (ET) support group. Medical websites say they estimate ten million Americans have ET. I wanted to test getting the word out. So I bought an advert. Facebook said the advertisement would reach up to 11,000 viewers. So I plunked down my money. I checked back in a day. Facebook reported my advert had reached 200 people. Great, 10,800 more to go. One day later Facebook told me my advert had reached...400 people. Not 11,000?

When Facebook uses the words "up to" I now know what Facebook is up to. I would never have spent the money to reach just 400 people.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I don't know if Facebook is a waste of time or not (probably depends on what you are trying to do there) ... but they invited me to a movie prescreening this evening - at their HQ in Menlo Park - and said I could bring my daughter.

Food, movie, family ... sounds like fun to me.

Another question - is fun having a waste of time? 8-)
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew Having fun is never a waste of time and perhaps that's the issue with Facebook - no one goes there to shop or do business.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

but we like to biz with people we like.

How do we know if we like them or not ... by hanging out and having a bit of fun.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
If you aren't getting business, no matter what you're business is from Facebook you are doing something wrong....
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve What tips do you have?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
29614 18 18
destitute