Great Post - Evolution of WordPress UI '3-172830

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I love these guys.

They put out top notch stuff.

Their latest -

The evolution of WordPress UI - 03 -17

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
thanks! Interesting....I can tell a website built using wordpress when I land on homepage....there are those "tell tale" three bars in upper left or right hand corner....ha!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@DansCartoons

Those three bars are called a "hamburger stack" and they are a menu style designed for mobile devices but now carrying over to full-size websites. They really have nothing to do with WordPress and appear on lots of non-WordPress sites. The reason so many of the sites with them turn out to be WordPress sites has more to do with the fact that WordPress installations now represent 60% of all content management system (CMS) sites and somewhere upwards of 25% of the entire installed base of websites. Your odds of that hamburger stack menu being a WordPress site is just about the same as the one without the hamburger stack being WordPress.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I started looking at WordPress (also Drupal and Joomla) as a replacement for hand-coded sites back around 2006 but didn't actually deploy a site with WordPress incorporated as the blog function until January of 2007 (v2.1). It wasn't until September of that year, using Dexter v2.3, that I actually experimented with using WordPress as a full website. I wasn't overly impressed and waited until 2008 (v2.5) until I added it to my repertoire.

Over the following months I gradually reduced my reliance on hand-coding and built more and more websites using WordPress. While I would still take on a hand-coded project, I can't imagine why anyone would actually want one.

Great article and a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew thanks for clarifying that. Nowadays, other than Wimpy's stack, there really is no other "tell talle" signature of a wp built site...other than if they don't delete the code "powered by wp" that some leave in there.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member My1App private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

You can see on which platform is built the website using https://builtwith.com/.
You can also see a lot of other info about plugins and other interesting tools used. You can verify every concurrent website like this.

Paul
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Paul: Thank you for verifying this. In order to find a reputable host for my own site (find in my profile) if you want to, I went to https://www.whoishostingthis.com/ for comparison shopping. That may help anyone looking for a new host if you are thinking of migrating. My move was "forced", due to a web host who was hosting me on a server with very little disk space and my site performance was malfunctioning (many thousands of pages I have) and the kicker was they WERE NOT telling me of any problems....just taking the money.
So I learned when it comes to hosting, make certain you have a "managed hosting" service (if your site is vast) and be certain it is automatically backed up every 24 hours (preferably on another server) in case something malfunctions - like an asteroid hits a certain part of the planet. Thanks again Paul, that is helpful!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
29614 7 7
destitute