BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspiration

How Long Have You Been Online?2832

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Of all the variables that can be controlled... doing more, doing better, doing more often, there is one variable that is out of our hands ... length of time online, doing your thing.

We can't go back in time or pre-date our site to look like we are old.

We have to get started and stay with it.

The number one reason why businesses fail is that they give up before their idea catches on.

How long have you been online?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a late bloomer I think...my web site didn't get online until 2002 0r 3 I think....although messed around on the things beginning in 1998. Wish I'd have "grasped" technology sooner though (although it was more expensive then)
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

I was rather late to the party as well. 2006-7.

I was online in the late 80s. But didn't get my own space online till 20 years later. I only have one foot now. I shot the other one so many times it fell off ... kind of like that mountain collapsing in North Korea. 8-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew well 'ya seem to be doing better than most! Keep it up! Who else can see they have dove into tech so deeply as you? Forum and all!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
I probably got my first computer at home in 1994 or 1995, although I'd been using one at work since 1984. I don't recall when I created my first website, but my current one dates back--numerous changes ago--to 2005.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Kind words are rare in the online space. Thx!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member JelenaBB private msg quote post Address this user
Huh.. from `98 or `99
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
In 1997 when I created an online school for a world wide group. Looking back ot was a good effort considering what I had to work with.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
what web editor did you use for creating your online school Susan? Or did you hand-code?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons I used Homestead. It was drag and drop, and easy to use.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I first got online in the mid 1980s at Motorola as part of the original ARPAnet. Later, in a position with DataProtek Corporation I was involved in the TEMPEST program. Then, through a professor friend at University of Toronto I got onto NSFnet.

In 1989 I explored QuantumLink and eventually started my own BBS (AMBASSADOR BOARD) that year which ran until 1998 and became one of the biggies with about 7000 members world wide.

In 1991 I took a position with an Internet start-up and by 1993 I was part owner and managing director of WebNET Corporation. I began developing websites that year. In 1995 I created the first website for the Royal Bank of Canada, a global financial institution. In 1996 I founded Hurontario.Net, my own Internet service provider (ISP) company.

In 2009 I founded WizardsPlace, the focus of my current online activities.

And I've enjoyed every minute of my entire online experience.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev one word: wow!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

That's why @Rev is the resident expert here.
Post 13 • IP   flag post

Post 14 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Things to ponder...

Does it make a difference how long someone has been online?
Do people relatively new to the online world think differently to those that have been on a longer time?
Is it easier to market to new internet users or older internet users?

As to myself... I remember using computers with punched cards and paper tape ... and visiting mainframe computer installations though airlock doors... as to the Internet well that was in 1994, although I never started professionally on it till 1996. In those days in the UK, you had to teach people what the Internet was before trying to sell them something...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Steve....I can picture you walking into a remote shadow site with a curious look on your face....
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Does it make a difference how long someone has been online?

I think there is a difference. In the "old" days, in order to get a connection, we often had to drop phone lines into companies that were part of the military-industrial complex, or run CAT-5 down along back yard fences. It was the worst of times. It was the best of times. We learned by doing and figuring it out as we went along. Guide book (if one even existed) in one hand, keyboard under the other.

Today, many people think the Internet is just the World Wide Web. They miss out on so much. And they miss so much more if they only access the web via a smart phone.

Now it is so much easier but those of us, you included, who know what's out there can get more out of that easier access. There is a good book that I recommend to anyone who is really (I mean REALLY) interested in learning about the "old" days.

Whole Internet: User Guide & Catalog
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I got my first computer when I was 19 years old. I begin to go online around 2012 without knowing and realizing on what I am doing. Having fun creating website. Recently, I begin to understand that website is part of marketing.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Online work - about 30 years ago, posting information on the intranet.
The platform: Unix.
The tool: vi editor.
What happened when I needed to re-arrange the directory/folders? (folders really didn't exist on that OS) Don't ask.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
First ever book that gave me a no-nonsense insight into the interwebs and editing/launching a web site. It was called Poor Richards Web Site (read all the reviews!) ....most are positive. There's always going to be the negative: https://www.amazon.com/Poor-Richards-Web-Site-2nd/dp/0966103203/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510173419&sr=1-2&keywords=poor+richards+website And I launched a bunch of sites after studying up on Microsoft Frontpage 2002.That software is no longer being updated by Microsoft, nor is the editor even HTML5 compliant.
I am also realizing most web hosts don't even support Windows which would have to be necessary in order to successfully use this ol WYSIWYG program................
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Member JelenaBB private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras LOL
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Who remembers Word Perfect?? Agghhh!!!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
word perfect? sounds familiar
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I sort-of remember word perfect. The wonderful formatting text editor designed for DOS? Probably because Windows didn't exist when it was created.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
I never use word perfect before.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
I remember Word Perfect. Loved it. How could you not love reveal codes?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Interesting of the changes in technology.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Rev, I almost envy your ability to remember.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Hey @Rev, remember those old phone modems? I was in 7th heaven when I upgraded from punched cards to a 150 baud modem for my class work. Had access to the Internet from a PHP-11 long before Gore invented it.

btw... are you mourning Target leaving Hutchinson?
Post 29 • IP   flag post
I remember businesses would lease the slowest rate modem lines because faster speeds would be provided when available - no extra cost. Most of the time faster baud rates were available. Most of the time, the transactions were run late at night, not during busy business hours.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29614 32 30
destitute