BillBelew.com
Business Advice

How do you avoid creep with clients?2845

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
This is not how to avoid creepy clients.

How to avoid creep with clients.

Creep is when a small job gradually turns into a large job at the initial small job price.

I have been doing this a long time and still don't know the answer.

A site restore turned into a site redesign.

What should I do?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
Provide a visual tangible breakdown (service by service or page by page) and give pricing for each and use or point to a page where you have fees listed for their reference. Add it all up and attach an invoice. It should make sense to them. When they have something visual that they can read and refer to it makes sense, as opposed to trying to break it all down in a single email. I've experienced "creep" factor many times
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Your idea is spot on.

My problem is I get excited and I want to help.

When there is creep, it's usually my fault.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
How many plumbers or builders have had this conversation?

"The job was bigger than we thought ..."

"There were some unexpected delays adding to the cost ..."

Pretend you are standing in someone's half-finished bathroom and then begin the conversation.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

This is the service provider.

I am talking client side.

Can you do this?

Can you do that?

Can you change this just a bit to look like that?

Rinse and repeat.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Imagine the plumber, standing back and saying how there is a lot of damage under the surface, the job is bigger than everyone imagined...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
imagine the house owner asking for some replumbing done and getting a quote.

after the plumber gets in there, the house owners asks ... well, can you do this sink, too while you are at it ... and this bathroom, too ... and all for the original price.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Effectively, how to close the current project and resume the work with a newly defined project, contract and budget?

"Rinse and repeat" - Is this what actually inspired Karate Kid "wax on, wax off"?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
Well, how about explaining to them that I want to provide you with an additional "creep" list of factors and explain the xtras that are creeping into the job by providing that itemized breakdown in writing...like Susan says a plumber tells the client "there is alot of damage", so in a sense, your damage relates the the creep factor and just itewmize it in a clear and finite site of bullet points or numbered list and then get them to agree to what you'll be changing / modifying and ultimately charging . . .
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
The only jobs I've given up on lately are the ones where mission creep sets in. I used to just suck it up and deliver but lately I'm getting smart. I'd rather lose the job than the money. The time is better spent with clients that are actually willing to pay for what I do.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
My husband had a bathroom remodeling business and "Scope creep" was standard. We would do an initial evaluation of the job and provide an estimate. However, the estimate had a specific clause for additional requirements once we broke into the walls. The client had to agree that there may be other services required.

If we found mold or the client decided they wanted additional work, it was in the contract that it will be added to the cost.

Never had a problem as they had to sign on.

For freelance writing services it has been more of a challenge. However, I try to be very clear about what I will do for x amount. If the client begins to ask about this or that, I refer back to our agreement.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
There should be no such thing as project creep... price your project properly and write your scope of works correctly and then when it starts to creep... mention that this addittional work forms a variation to order, price it and get it approved in writing before proceeding with it.

I used to be a building estimator befor my time with thd imternet and was something of an expert at this... working around the world.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29756 12 12
destitute