BillBelew.com
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to create an online magazine. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. I wanted to keep it cheap and simple, and as I'm quite proficient as using MSPub, I thought I'd start with that. (I have formatted and published a lot of children's books using it.)

Is there any programs anyone would suggest?

Marketing ideas / concerns / anything?

I was planning to give the mag away for free, and then ask for a small subscription fee if anyone wanted to contribute. I'd also sell advertising space.

My first thoughts was to target authors, but I'm open to suggestions. I have made a lot of connections this year alone with my 100 Guest Posts in One Year program and I hang out with a lot of authors online, so I should be able to start garnering some interest. It will also mean I won't have to create the content myself each month.

However, I could create one for dog or cat lovers, or bloggers - As many of you know I have a wide interest in almost anything
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

Do you think an online magazine will get read?

Isn't there already a glut of material online?

Why are you adding more?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Belew Good points

Creating a magazine is something I am interested in doing - I'd like to give it a go.

And... to answer your other questions - just because McDonalds make hamburgers very successfully doesn't mean every other food outlet have stopped.

There is a glut of material online, that's for sure, and heaven knows I've added a ton of it myself (lol) but most are posts which do provide valuable information but are flat and lack dynamics.

I'd like to provide something that has a more professional / up market design and appeal. A monthly publication which people look forward to receiving because it provides them with a lot of information, is entertaining and educational - all those things and more.

An online mag would put all things in one place with images, interviews, cartoons too. Some software packages allow you to embed links and videos, which would be great for advertisers and authors wanting to promote their books.

I guess I want it to be something of beauty too. No offense, but most blog posts aren't 'beautiful' to look at, functional, yes, but not beautiful.

I want someone to open up the mag and feel they are holding something special in their hands (albeit on their tablet or phone).

Wanna be my first guest, Mr Belew?
Post 3 IP   flag post
@SusanDay

All that thinking is good thinking ... and you can slap me if I am being negative. Not my intent. Just want to be another thinker.

I have seen some very good online magazines .... but in the end they struggle to get readership.

My advice ... ain't worth much most of the time ... would be to build up a following ... perhaps start with those who have opted in to receive your blog updates. When that number reaches critical mass, email them and ask them what they want. Then give that to them.

"Would you rather get my email updates or a monthly magazine all-in-one type update?" Then do that.

Too often, we want people to want what we want them to want, rather than finding out what they want/need and giving that to them.

That being said, I am on team-Susan. How can I help?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Belew More great ideas!

Yes, a following would certainly help. I need to gather together all those contacts I've made this year blogging, guest blogging, being annoying, writing stuff etc. I already have a few Australian authors interested in getting involved.

At the moment, I am looking at the practicalities of software, delivery etc, and working out the costs. I then need to develop a look or feel / get creative with formatting and design, then set deadlines for 2018.

I'll need regular contributors, of course, so anyone who would like to commit to an article a month would be more than welcome

Special guests are also welcome too.

From what I've read about other mags, the subscription costs are too high. I'm looking at delivering the mag and only charging a small delivery fee. Sponsorship and ads would make up the main revenue, but these things take time.

I'd like to give it a go for one year and see what happens after that.

This year I wanted to write 100 guest posts, as you know, and so far I'm at 120 published online articles with a few more in the pipeline. I'm not sure I want to continue to do as many next year at the moment, but if I didn't it would free up time for my mag.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@SusanDay

One of the best ways to spend your time is doing what you want to do.

Thomas Jefferson - "One man/woman with enthusiasm is a majority."

If you put enough heart into it, people will wonder what you are up to and come take a look at the crazy person doing her thing.

I am on team Susan. I will root for you ... and even pitch in.

Will it be a doggie mag? I'd love to give my little girl and our new mutt involved?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Belew Thank you!

I was thinking of targeting authors because I know a lot and I should be able to get a few contributors.

I have also considered a doggie mag - seeing as I know a lot about 'em, but a doggy mag for kids would be very special and niche targeted... what do you think?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The more specific the more likely it'll work.

Authors is very broad ... and most authors are self serving.

Doggie people are by nature caring of others ... especially the 4-legged others.

I'd go for dogs.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Okay, let's do that.

Would Mia like to be my first guest?

I could put a list of questions together for her, and you'd to supply to pics.

I would aim at publishing the first issue at the end of Jan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Count us in ... or at least me.

Mia is one of them female types = unpredictable. 8-)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Once she sees her pic and her name in print, she'll be hooked! Media star, here we come!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I have another proposition ... but that's an offline elsewhere discussion.

I hope you can prove me wrong abt the mag ... let's see what you got.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Absolutely!

One never knows, till one has tried
Post 13 IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay @Belew My most fervent advice is never to let anyone tell you you can't do something or it won't work.

Sorry Bill, but if I had take that advice I would have never written my book.

Susan-go for it. What you have to say is different than anyone else. So what if there are 200 doggie mags online. Yours is different. So what if there are 300 author magazines out there. Yours if different.

I can't contribute to a dog pub, but I'm happy to pitch you for an author article when the time comes.

You go girl.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@gspieler Thank you!

I'd be honored to have you write for me. I already have quite a lot of interest from other authors so I might do authors and dogs.

I am grateful for Bill's hardline approach. It made me think and focus on why I wanted to create magazines.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

I love the idea of a magazine for authors. There are so many things you can write about -- all the how-to writing topic of course, but just about anything else; doggie facts for authors, cartoons vs. photos to illustrate a book, it's unlimited!

Nice. Count me in. Where do I subscribe?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks!

I'll take you up on your promise in the new year.
Post 17 IP   flag post
30362 17 17
destitute