BloggingContent Creation

Beginning Questions for New Business Blogger2859

BKatt private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Everyone,

I am a relatively new member with two beginning questions.

The first is procedural: Out of respect to members who have already answered similar questions in the past, I have been reading previous posts to see if my questions have already been addressed.

However, even by scanning titles, it is a daunting task in time and focus to scan the forum for similar topics before asking my questions. SEARCH is somewhat helpful but it seems to take me out of the forum.

1) Is it OK to risk repeating a question rather than further procrastinating asking my questions to the forum?

My second question regards the 199 blog post topics that Bill suggests. (

2) Is the purpose of the 199 to establish myself as an authority in my area of work or as my authority as a blogger by showing my ability to consistently create posts?

The context of my second question is that I provide business and sales consulting. I am not aware of any prospective clients who consider, as an example, what companies I follow as criteria for engaging me for my consulting services.

I am halfway through the 199 posts and am committed to producing the remaining posts, regardless. Clarifying the purpose may help me write the remaining posts more effectively.

Thanks for your answers!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
1) It is okay to repeat a question.

I have a searchable excel spread sheet that I will share with you that has most of the forum threads ranked by popularity and content. The forum now has over 30,000 posts and 3,000 threads. There's only so much that can be said without there being some repetition.

2) Which companies you follow ... How about - which professional sales trainers do you follow? This would give them an idea of who you are. Where did you 'go to school' to learn how to sell?

Would that help your would-be clients make a decision about you?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest using the 199 posts as a guide and think about how it relates to your client base and goals. However, don't think too narrowly! Even if you don't think your prospects care about something, they might. So don't limit yourself to what has worked in the past or what you believe will work. Try the blog ideas, gauge the response, and then make adjustments. You may be surprised.

Also, creating the 199 posts will hone your skills and help you define your voice. Just thinking about what to include in your posts will cause you to be more aware of the content you see around you. I maintain half a dozen Google Docs on different topics and save links and quotes as I come across them, knowing that I'll be writing an article on each of those topics eventually.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks, @billbelew! Per the 199 posts, my first series of 10 posts were about the 10 sales trainers that I follow. A later series listed the top 10 bloggers/influencers and the next series was on how they affected my selling and business career.

Another series was about 10 clients who benefitted from my consulting. As I wrote the above series of posts, I was aware of how those posts may affect prospective clients making a decision about my services. An excellent exercise!

Many of the remaining 199 posts seem more generic in nature:

- What companies do I follow,
- What products do these companies provide?
- Write a review of this companies.
- What service providers do I follow?
- What are their strong points?
- What are their weak points?
- Write a review of these service providers

I see the value as a blogger in writing these posts. Consistency. Writing skills both in content and format. Laying the foundation to escape the sandbox...

All these benefits as a given, is the primary purpose of the 199 to:
- help bloggers not used to writing to get used to writing regularly?
- to put out a volume of posts, in the proper format, to escape the Sandbox and start growing a regular reading audience?
- to establish my area authority to my online audience?
- another reason not yet listed?

Thanks, @TParker! I was channeling your thoughts as I was writing my response above! Agree with all your thoughts about honing skills, defining my voice and identifying topics. Before I started my blog, I wrote down over 300 blog topics to gauge the depth of my topics. Per the advice of Bill and others on this forum, I stopped adding to the list so I could get started publishing blogs. So identifying topics and writing consistently is not a challenge at this time.

My question is clarifying the value of the suggested 199 rather than the topics I have already identified, which are more directly address my area of work. What is the primary value of writing these more generic blogs while readership is low and my chief aim is escaping the Sandbox?
Post 4 IP   flag post
What is the primary value of writing these more generic blogs while readership is low and my chief aim is escaping the Sandbox?

The primary value, IMHO, is to establish to your would be readers and the bots that you have done the work to get to this stage in your life, you are reliable, you have done your own due diligence.

By the time you have answered these posts or other similar posts any person or bot that visits your site will know who you are, what you have done in the past, what and how you think.

In a word/phrase = the value is in establishing your credibility.
Post 5 IP   flag post
So the purpose of the initial 199 is establishing my credibility:

- as a blogger, who consistently publishes original content, in an acceptable search bot format.
- as a professional, highlighting my resume of work
- as an authority/thought leader in my area via relevant, useful original content

Those three expressions in my blog posts indicate to readers my due diligence and work to get to this stage in my life.
Post 6 IP   flag post

Yup, yup, and yup.

How's it going?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@BKatt Wow! What an impressive writer you are.

I found once I started on the 199 post ideas I couldn't stop. I now have blogs with 1000s of posts, and I create content for others.

Asking questions is important even if they have been asked before. The dynamics of the group are changing all the time with new members joining who may have new answers. As well, we are all learning and growing so old members may have new experiences to share.

Well done on your blog. It will be something to look back on and be proud of.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks, Susan!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user

Here's a link to a book that might be helpful to you. It's a direct link to a PDF file; no opt-in, no email address required. I sell this on my website but please have this copy completely free of charge.

One suggestion I would offer for your forum activity: fill out your profile and provide a picture. Engagement starts with getting to know you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks @Rev for the reminder to update my profile and for generously sharing your PDF!

Already, it has answered several questions I haven't thought to ask yet.
Post 11 IP   flag post
30263 11 11