BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingCareer AdviceSocial MediaWordPress

Must I have a website/domain host?2862

Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Currently, I have a site on Wordpress that has no host. Do I need one? I know I have to create a new author page and like the ease of using Wordpress. I also know that BlueHost plays nicely with Wordpress but I question why I need a host? Will it get me anything worthwhile? Is it just another way to spend money? I am not computer savvy. I don't like things complicated. I really hate spending time keeping up with SM when I could be crafting a story instead. I pay an editor. I pay a proofreader. do I have to pay an invisible entity as well since I have been brainwashed into believing that I must brand myself and I should treat my books and writings as a small business and work to build an empire?
HELP Please. I am overwhelmed and am not liking this forced march from reclusive introvertism to Social Media Darling.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@julesthoughts

It depends on your end game.

If you just want an online presence to point people to, anything will do ... almost.

If you want to eventually do business from your site, you will want to be self-hosted. It has a lot to do with credibility ... nobody wants to do business with someone who is working from a free site. It's like setting up a lemonade stand in someone else's front yard.

I can steer you through the hosting and security choices to get you the most for the best price.

Do you want to discuss this offline? We can internal message here or I can email you. Your call.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you. Your explanation makes more sense than others I have heard. I don't ever intend to sell work on my site but experience has taught me never say never. I expect to have to post links to the publisher's site for books. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. I'm up for either private messaging or emailing. Whichever is best for you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@julesthoughts

I take it from what you said that you have a blog site on WordPress.com. That is a great place to start and, for many, a great place to stay. Should you ever decide to move to a self-hosted WordPress site, moving your content is a breeze.

As Bill said, you really can't do business from the free WordPress blog site. It's against their rules and just difficult to do. They offer (overpriced) upgrades that will let you add business to your existing sites but the cost is higher than going the self-hosted route and not much easier. When the time comes for that move, talk to Bill or look me up. I do this for a living and I've had a bit of experience of the years.

Where you are now will allow you to build a brand, engage with others, and reference your sales outlets (Amazon, book stores, other websites, etc.). The key to it all is having a good plan and then following that plan. Great time of year to get started again!
Post 4 IP   flag post
30364 4 4
destitute