BillBelew.com

Wondering Why You Need to Self Host?2880

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
In a galaxy far, far away...

Oh, sorry wrong script...

Once upon a time I joined a well known "free" website hosting service. I built my website and I was happy. My domain name was perfect - astrosadventures.com - my books are the Astro's Adventures series and I loved how this made my books so much easier to find... or so I thought!

This was long before the kindly wizard (@belew) taught me about SEO and blogging, and other such important matters.

The kindly wizard also taught told me the importance of self-hosting, and like a dutiful servant I embarked on the journey to "own" my own domain names, websites etc., but I had my doubts.

"Oh Golly," I thought, "Does it really matter??"

Well, when I tried to leave the "free" website hosting service I found it impossible to take astrosadventures.com with me. Sad and dejected I had to move on and create a whole new website - astrosadventures.net.

However, like a naughty elf, every now and then I go to my bluehost account and check if astrosadventures.com is available. I dream of one day reuniting myself with my old domain and living happily ever after.

This morning I did just that.

Imagine my horror when I saw how much the greedy trolls wanted for astrosadventures.com - see below.

In fact, I nearly fainted!

So children, the lesson here is - self host or be damned to a life of regret! And, if anyone has a spare $4k lying around, I'd appreciate a loan.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought two new domains from Blue host. I bought a domain and had them host me for a before I moved to another host. Moving my original domain that I bought from them, did not cost me when I left. I wonder what the difference is?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I heard that it is good to buy domain name from GoDaddy. However, I move my self-host to godaddy so that it is not taxing for my mental energy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
The difference is @SusanDay site had grown in value. Yours hadn't. ... yet.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Maybe when you get time Bill, you could explain the hosting and how it grew in value?
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's not the hosting that grew in value, it's the domain name.

In all probability someone saw the value of the AstrosAdventure series that Susan created and wanted a piece of it or was hoping that at some point she would want it back.

On a much smaller scale but even more recently...

I have a site www.inboundchurch.org

I thought I might want the site www.inbound.church Sure enough it has been purchased by somebody. I looked up to see who the owner is and contacted him. He has done zilch with the site ... just sitting on it.

I offered to buy it off of him. He said, "Sure, $500!" For a site that has no value to him but one that I wanted.

No, I didn't buy it from him.

Does this help?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I see, I have been working on adding different domains to my site. Somewhere I noticed my main domain was "valued" at $800, not a big concern. I tried to buy www.Captjack.com I found it being unused. The guy wanted $12,500 I think. Sorry, not interested.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@jmolan

Will Rogers - "It ain't want you can ask, it's what you can get."

Ain't nothing worth nothing if someone doesn't pony up the money.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I don't recommend using Goddady for hosting. I don't say you shouldn't. I just don't recommend it. I've had my experiences there. For what it's worth, I mostly turn down service work if the site is hosted there, too. It's not worth my frustration.

I do suggest (even recommend) registering your domain names at Godaddy. There are cheaper places. There is maybe one better place. But generally I like Godaddy for domain names. But there is a big caveat!

DO NOT get suckered into buying all the stuff they try to up-sell. Just by the domain name. You don't need anything else they offer. The stuff you do need (email, perhaps) will come with your hosting account if you get it in the right place. I like InMotion Hosting and Siteground. There are others.

I currently own (registered) or manage (for clients) about 70 domain names and about 60 websites. Over the years there have been hudreds, perhaps thousands, of others. I've learned a thing or two. You can too. Or you can re-read what I wrote above.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks for your immediate response. what do you think about bluehost?
@Belew I remember that you recommended me bmhosting to host my first author site. What is the good side of bmhosting? Sub-domain?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny

I used to use Bluehost, and Hostgator, and Arvixe. Each one was good at the time I started using them. Then Endurance International Group (EIG) came along and bought them up -- and dozens of others. They put them all in the same box and so the service now seems to have reached the lowest common denominator. They may be improving but, in my opinion, the consolidation was more about cost saving than service improvement.

I think that is what Joni was singing about...

Post 11 IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks for giving the overall picture. I like GoDaddy’s customer service experiences. They have Singapore number. Thus it is likened to make local calls. I have been calling them and I like the experiences they give.
Post 12 IP   flag post
30322 12 12
destitute