BillBelew.com
BrainstormingProductivity

How Can I Turn the World Off When I Can't?2881

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Every morning I can't wait to get to my keyboard. I have so many many ideas floating in my head, not to mention a long list of things I want to tackle with my keyboard.

But then when I sit to write ... email pops up, notifications happen, txt msgs buzz.

Seriously .... how do you isolate yourself such that you can actually get something done?

Got ideas?

Post 1 IP   flag post
BKatt private msg quote post Address this user
A lot could be written about this topic. Two thoughts that initially come to mind are decisiveness and discipline

Decisiveness begins with design. Choosing how to spend the productive hours of your day. Michael Hyatt, Robin Sharma and others recommending carving out your most productive hours, treating it like an appointment and guarding that time against interruptions. Deciding and committing to that block of time makes the second step much easier to implement...

Discipline involves turning off notifications during your productive hours. If prompt communication is a part of your business model, or additional business depends on it, then the interruption may be worth your time. Otherwise, most people are generally OK if you get back with them after your productive hours end.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@BKatt

Good stuff!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Set a time limit, or a timer. For example, you allow yourself to pay attention to social media only until 10:00 AM, or only from 11:30 - 12:00. When time is up, you quit and get back to work. Not only does it allow you not to be distracted while you work, but it makes you more efficient at using your distraction time in more meaningful ways (i.e. no cat videos).

Also, recognizing when your most productive times of day are helps. For me, mid-late afternoon is my most creative time, so I should avoid email and social media during that time and schedule it before noon, when I feel less focussed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Summerbay

I rationalize ... and I think rightfully so, though I may be deceiving myself ... that my time spent in a social network is good research.

I have a very long list of topics I have built from ideas I got while in a social network.

My problem is the list of ideas keep growing = I haven't started knocking them off.

I need to find that balance of getting new while knocking out the old.

Thanks for your ideas!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Belew For the creative person ideas are both a blessing and a problem. I'd suggest going through your list and rating them:

P - passionate and must do or life is not worth living
L - love it but can do it later
C - curious but may never get to it

Be ruthless. Then put all the L and C ones away for some other day. Then go through the P list and do the same again until you've whittled it down to the top one - three. The rest get put away for later.

Recognize that you're not discarding all those other great ideas, they're just waiting until the P list is done. This helps you to go deep on the ones that actually mean the most to you without feeling like you're missing out on all those other juicy ideas. They'll be waiting for you when you return at a later date.

Every new idea that comes along must land in one of these lists. Even if it's on the P list, let it sit for a while before spending too much time on it. If after a few days it has lost its sparkle, it needs to be moved to a different list so you can live in your most joyful work.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Summerbay Terrific advice.

Now, I need to turn off my Forum update notifications.

Thanks! really!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
I have long been a fan of a timer on my desk. I call it my "disciplinarian." I wrote a piece for Huffpo called "The Dangers of Distracted Writing"
Post 8 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Where headphones and play Mozart loudly!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@SusanDay

The best part abt Mozart is I can type happy thoughts really fast.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Mozart on caffeine... played by my son.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew--Wow. Very impressive.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Belew And all for memory! Wonderful.
I sister and I used to play that piece as a duet. We weren't nearly that good.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Ben is your son, right?

Do you play?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Rev

Yes. Ben, the hands here, belong to my son.

He got all my artistic talent.

My geneticist zon got all my brains.

My little girl got all my good looks.

I have nothing left. Just a shriveled up old prune.

Nope. I don't play. How abt you?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew That's wonderful. You must be so proud.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I have a song in my heart but my brain forgot to tell my fingers or my vocal cords. No chords in my cords, you might say.

I do own a really nice acoustic guitar. I pluck at it a little. Should take lessons.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler Thanks for sharing your article on productivity. Do you mind to share how your timer looks like? Thanks.
Post 18 IP   flag post
30322 18 18
destitute