BillBelew.com

Cloud Hosting - What the???2894

Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I have been told that I should upgrade to cloud hosting for my websites. It's $500+ for 3 years.

The reason I ended up contacting my hosting service is because I was getting a "bad gateway" message and I was unable to post articles on one website.

Should I upgrade? Is it really something I need to do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay All hosting tends to be cloud hosting...

As such I've no idea what you have now, nor what extra you are being sold... might it be a VPS solution?

As to should you upgrade... If your websites are important and the current solution is failing, perhaps it is time to upgrade or move hosting providers...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

In the "old days", when the "Information Super Highway" was in it's infancy we would talk tech to people and their eyes would glaze over. They kind of understood about their own computer and sort of had an idea about servers and websites but all the tech that connected them was a blur. So we kind of wrapped it up in a neat little package and called it the "cloud". For years it was just a name for stuff we didn't need to explain.

Recently, some marketing wag picked up on it. He probably wasn't even born when the term was coined but he saw the potential in utilizing it for his client. Thus the modern-day "cloud" was born. It's really just the same thing; the tech that marketers don't want to explain to consumers.

The Amazon "cloud" where all the files are stored.
_

The IBM "cloud" where all the computing "magic" lives.

It's all just data storage (hard drives -- spinning or digital) and processing power. In other words, just a big bunch of computers, and you get to use as little or as much as you need.

The term "cloud computing" now applies to the process of using services hosted "in the cloud" instead of on your computer.

Gmail is a "cloud computing" service. While you can download email from Gmail to an app on your computer or smart device, most don't. They read their mail right on the Gmail (Google) server.

Google Docs provides a place in the "cloud" (on Google's servers) where you can store and share documents (files). Google, Microsoft, and others also provide word processors, spreadsheets, and other apps you can use in the cloud rather than running an app (or program) on your computer.

Netbook computers were created to access the cloud without having the expense of a large hard drive for you to store data (files) and run programs (apps). The file storage and program running is all done in the cloud. The netbook has just enough processing power and software (usually built in) to access the cloud. The heavy lifting is done on the cloud servers (computers).

See, it's not as techie as the gurus would have you believe. But, if they made it simple they might be out of a job!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Rev Brilliant!

So, my truck is too big for the garage, and I'm gonna have to build a bigger one?

The tech guys said, "I wish I could explain it to you."

"Me too," was my reply - if only he understood the principles behind what he was talking about, and I'm sure he would have been able to.

Thanks heaps (Australian slang for a lot)
Post 4 IP   flag post
@SusanDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
too big for the garage, and I'm gonna have to build a bigger one?

The "cloud" is more like renting more space in someone else's parking garage.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Rev lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Thus, I prefer to work to earn my income and store my working files in my own hard disk and purchase the softwares such as Microsoft office, drawing tools, etc. When needed to submit the work, I will upload it to the cloud storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
@SusanDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
too big for the garage, and I'm gonna have to build a bigger one?

The "cloud" is more like renting more space in someone else's parking garage.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@tienny

As "they" say, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev What do you mean? Do you mean there are many ways to earn a living or storing own data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
ago
Post 9 IP   flag post
30144 9 9
destitute