BillBelew.com
feedbackinspirationmotivation

Where Do You Go When You Have to Focus?456

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Where do you go when you absolutely have to be alone and need to focus?

I have not been putting it off (maybe I have), but I desperately need a quiet place where I can work intensely for about 8 hours to get my slides and what not ready for my upcoming gig in Shanghai.

Yet... a time and place escape me.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
To be in a conducive environment than at home.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
The SF Bay weather seems reasonable today. If your battery(s) last long enough, how about . . .

Post 3 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

Where is this?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Under a canopy at a Santa Cruz flea market. There are several beaches along the coast, as well as large enough parks and very large parks. Shoreline Park would work as well, if you want grass and water and a restaurant nearby. During a weekday - most will be quiet. It's not yet summer vacation or spring break.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
During my MBA studies I found that wifi cafes and bookstores like Borders (R.I.P.) and Barnes & Noble worked best. Even these last two provided a steady source of caffeine - always good for crunch time fuel!

Post 6 • IP   flag post
My observation - independent coffee shops are more likely to have free WiFi, power outlets, and not care how long you sit there. And attract quiet customers who work, unlike "see-me" places like starbucks.

The late Borders, although a franchise, supported the working environment very well.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras - y, absolutely!

For a while the pendulum started swing the other way, and even the Indie's started having scarcity mentality - thinking that the "squatters" were taking up seats of paying customers.

But then even Starbucks realized that these digital nomads actually brought in more customers with their presence.

Now some libraries offer the cafe environment - notable ones are Vancouver and San Diego.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Although I don't have a coffee IV, I do keep my coffee close...

When I need a break (to focus, etc.) I grab my laptop and head for a local coffee shop with WiFi.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev @Belew - a change of scenery is definitely key at times. Sometimes it's good just to go for a walk - one of the things I miss about the Bay Area the most is being able to drive 20 min or less in almost any direction and finding amazing places to hike.

Marin, Redwood Park, Menlo Park, Berkeley Marina, Lake Merritt, Pinole, Sunol..
Post 10 • IP   flag post
There are hiking trails at Ed Levin park. Most likely you'll be sharing them with horses - and their equestrian companions.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
Walking a quiet trail sounds wonderful. I have a day off for the first time in two weeks! and yes, it refreshes the soul.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

It does sound refreshing, but not a good place (for me) to focus.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
OK Bill - what kind of places inspire your gotta-get-the-job-done focus?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

Not sure I know the answer to that these days.

I am sequestered in the room where I do the weekly Meetups right now. I have my projector on and the wall lit up so I can work big screen.

But, here I am on the forum, too = loss focus. Or just old-fashion procrastination.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Log out and check back in every hour or so? I can wait.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
I have an office set up in one end of my living room. It was designed as an eating area, but fits perfectly for a home office. No one usually bothers me here, so it works as long as I remember to stay focused.

I'm scanning in my book, one page at a time, so I have a few seconds while the page scans in. Then I have to remember which page I'm on!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
The problem I have with working at home is the refrigerator is too close.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew The refrigerator is always a danger.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Suggestion. Don't work "big screen" when you want to focus. The part of the brain that allows you to scan the wall is conflicting with the part that controls focus. Return to the smaller screen and focus will suddenly be easier.

Have you read my book yet?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Rev I use the big screen because I can see what I will be presenting.

What book? Where?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I thought I offered it to the group when I first arrived... must have been someplace else. Hmmm... I obviously didn't stay "there" so it should have been "here". Anyway, it's available on Amazon, but here's a direct link for the PDF which will save you three bucks...

Wiz's 10 Steps to Staying Focused On Your Objectives <= Click!

If anybody needs a .mobi copy just let me know.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
MichaelProcopio private msg quote post Address this user
For focused work I find the library works really well.

But the other item I would suggest is removing distractions. Log out of email etc.

There is a system where you work 45 min then take a break, during the break you can look at email, forums etc.

http://mattmccormick.ca/2010/05/03/increase-your-productivity-work-in-45-minute-blocks/
Post 23 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks
Post 24 • IP   flag post
25019 24 24
destitute