BillBelew.com
AnalyticsContent Marketing

What's the Most Popular Post You Ever Wrote?460

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I had a post on an old site that got more than 300,000 sessions ... and a 3.9% bounce rate!

It was a review of a new cell phone launched in India.

What's your most popular post ever? No screen shot needed. Just a chance for you make a plug AND get another link to it!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My "Elephant" post. I wrote it in 2011 and I still get people contacting me to remind them where it is so they can share it, again!

The Butt Hole of an Elephant.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev Link?!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I hope I can
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
I have four Blogs, and each Blog has a most popular post. Starting from the top:

This post has had 10,980 views on a blog with almost 600,000 views. This post was also a 9-part series and each part has also had views.

Qin Shi Huangdi – The Man who unified China – (Viewed as Single Page)

The next post has had 2,013 views on a blog with a total of 50,376.

A successful history of—and the threat to—Public Education in the United States

The third Blog post has had 1,933 views on a Blog with a total of 45,254.

Discover how Amazon changed book cover design and why authors need to pay attention

Then there is my least developed Blog with the smallest number of posts, and its highest ranked post is a three-part series that has a total of 6,000 views on a Blog with a total of 11,326.

U.S. Troops and the Prostitutes Who Service Them (Viewed as a Single Page)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
What do folks use to track views for posts vs. overall website?

We all use Google analytics, of course. Are there plugins or apps that you like best?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Google analytics and sitemeter (sometimes).
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I use Wordpress stats or go to the host of my Websites that are not on Wordpress and the host provides the stats.

For Wordpress, I go to the Dashboard and click on Site Stats, and then I click on the Summaries of Referrers or Top Posts & Pages---then click All Time.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I have found that Wordpress and hosting sites give bloated figures.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Not me, butt I also check Alexa. For instance, Alexa tells me that the average bounce rate for iLookChina.net, one of my Blogs, is 47.7% with 1.3 page views per visitor and an average of 1:56 minutes on the site.

For LloydLofthouse.org, one of my other Blogs/sites, the bounce rate is 27.9% with 1.8 page views per visitor and 2:06 minutes on the site.

The bounce rate for my crazynormaltheclassroomexpose.com Blog is 33.3% with 1.6 page views per visitor and 1:32 minutes on site.

The Soulfulvetearn.com has a bounce rate of 13.4%, 2.2 page views per visitor with 1:06 minutes daily time on Site

To decipher what all that means, I found this post:

The Correct Definition of Bounce Rate

In Google Analytics, bounce rate is actually the percentage of single interaction visits to a website. A pageview is going to be the most common second interaction on the bulk of websites, but there are a handful of other possible interactions—events*, transactions, and so on—that also affect bounce rate. (More on how bounce rate is actually determined here and here.)

Events can also be set to “non-interaction” so they don’t affect bounce rate. So, a bounce could even include multiple actions taken by the user.

What’s the Average Bounce Rate?

Most websites will see bounce rates fall somewhere between 26% and 70%. The average bounce rate for the websites in my sample set was 49%. The average bounce rate for all visits in the set was 45%.

http://www.gorocketfuel.com/the-rocket-blog/whats-the-average-bounce-rate-in-google-analytics/
Post 10 • IP   flag post
In addition, I just found this: "55% of Visitors Spend Fewer than 15 second on your Website.

"On the other hand, people who find your content through search engines are in active search mode already -- they're looking for a specific answer and are committed to taking the time to find it, which may make them more engaged visitors. If that's the metric you're trying to move on your content, you should focus on more SEO optimization. This data doesn't mean all social is hopeless -- it just means you might have to rethink how you're using those platforms and maybe reallocate your time to other marketing activities."

http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/chartbeat-website-engagement-data-nj

If that is correct, then if we are keeping people on our site for an average longer than a minute or more that sounds pretty good.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Even I am confused with the wordpress figures.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I think if we combine the Wordpress figures with the information we can get from Alexis, that will give us a better idea of who is actually reading something we wrote to the end.

I'm not sure that we can ever get a 100% clear idea of how many readers arrive who stay long enough to read an entire post but we can come close.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
What is important is that you consistently use the same metrics from the same source. In that way you can measure changes.

Always use Google Analytics or sitemeter or Alexas or WordPress or ...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Makes sense.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

Oh,... I think what we really want is to know how much work do I need to do to get the phone to ring or the email box to fill up so that we can make a sale.

This many posts out/pages created resulted in this many sales.

The analytics helps us measure quality - time on site, pages viewed per session and so on so we can improve our quality.

The real metric, however, is how many posts/pages = how many sales.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
All I have is my sales numbers before and after I took your all day Blogging workshop back in 2009. Then in 2010, I followed what I learned from you and wrote and posted 1,000 posts in less than a year---that was a lot of work.

Before Blogging:

In 2008, sold only 221 copies of my first book.
In 2009, sold another 341 copies of my first book.

After Blogging:

By the end of 2010, sold another 2,375 copies of my first book, but I wasn't writing and publishing any new books because I was blogging all the time. :o)

In 2011, after passing the 1,000 post mark on my first Blog, my first book sold another 4,641 copies.

I'm still blogging but not as often and my work is still selling but the sales have slowed.

The high point was in 2013, when my work sold more than 5,000 copies.

This year, so far, about 100 have sold.

I think it is arguable that my book sales are linked to how frequently I publish new posts for my Blogs.

It's a juggling act between blogging and writing the next book.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

Looks to me like there is a correlation but then maybe it's because that's what I want to see.

Are you able to track how buyers found your book?

Do you have goals set up in Google Analytics?

If so, do you mind sharing your GA dashboard so I can take a look?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Sorry, I have no way to track how buyers found my work, and I have never used Google Analytics.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

It'd be a good idea to get it installed.

If you are n Wordpress and have a Gmail account it is pretty painless.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
After I get it installed---after I finished my taxes for this year and mail them off to the IRS---how do I use it?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

One step at a time.

Taxes.
Installed.
Instruction.

It's not nearly as intimidating as it seems. Remember, I am a front end guy and even I know how to use it.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
I think you are way more front end than I will ever be. :o) I've got a lot of catching up to do as soon as those taxes are off to the IRS. I'll make goals list of things to get done and check them off one at a time.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

Let me know/how when I can help.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Thank you.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
25047 25 25
destitute