BillBelew.com
Motivation

Nothing like a deadline for procrastination461

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am 5 days out from my trip to Shanghai and still don't have my presentations ready.

I have deep files of info but no presentations.

I have been telling myself I will get more info. But i think I have just been procrastinating.

Now the departure date is looming.

How do you overcome procrastination?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
JingTan private msg quote post Address this user
always have the same problem with you-- procrastination.

what I do is I will split my goal into little part. If there is 21 slides in 5 days, so 7 slides per day. Left 2 days for in case you need to add on or you left out something or even procrastination makes you take more time? (I always have the problem to really stick on what I have planned. )

Give yourself some treat if you reach your goal on that day. It will somehow motivate you.

Anyway, you have to tell yourself that research will never end and you have to start doing now.

All the best with your presentation. Hope that this could help and as I say this to you, I am also warning myself…
Post 2 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
My method is self-asking - do I need to work on that goal now, or is this "something else" more important?

The answer is not from the "busy" mind, but from the more quiet mind.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@JingTan

Thanks for the tips.

A cookie per slide sounds good to me!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
I write my goals down on paper and then put those goals where I can't miss them every waking moment. This becomes a reminder that I better get them done or I can't trust even myself.

For instance, I procrastinated starting my taxes and then wrote my goal down to do them and now I'm doing them even though I procrastinate each morning but by the afternoon, I'm working on my taxes. Because for me, if I go to bed at night without having at least spent some time working toward achieving that written goal, I can't sleep until I get more work done.

Use language that doesn't give you an option to procrastinator. Then if you don't follow through, you are only lying to yourself. Then look in the mirror and give yourself a lecture for failing yourself.

:o)

I have found that it is very easy for me to procrastinate if I don't write the goals down on paper. And sometimes I procrastinate writing the goals on paper because then it means I have to get to work on them.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

I am not normally a procrastinator.

I have been having such a difficult time getting all the ducks in a row for this upcoming trip that even with 5 days to go it doesn't seem like it's real.

It's a lot of work to put something together when you are not sure it will/won't happen.

I am still waiting for my visa to come thru and there is a remote chance it won't.

Or am I still trying to talk myself out of working?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - it's funny recently I was asked to recall some key people in my life.

One of them was our MOI (Marine Office Instructor) Capt Almquist. Between him and Staff Sgt Howell they were the ones responsible for teaching us wet behind the ears middies (Midshipmen) how to be military - drilling, marching, etc.

Because I had problems passing my physical, I wasn't sure I'd get accepted into the ROTC scholarship program. So I found myself caught in this in-between state - half-assed between going for it and figuring what's the point.

I don't know what caused the MOI to recognize my potential but he took me aside and simply said.

"Mr. Chang, you need to do what it takes now as if your physical came through. Otherwise, when it does, it won't matter."

Or in the words of Ron Swanson from Parks & Rec -

Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

The lesson is well-learned. Thanks for the reminder.

I have been working on my presentations all morning. Looking up every now and then to jump in here.

I now know 3 things.

1. How the Chinese can best do content marketing in their world.
2. How the Chinese could do content marketing if they were to come to mine.
3. How the American company could do content marketing if they wanted to experience that Chinese hockey stick phenomenon.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - I think someone else mentioned it but the Pomodoro method (actually intentionally taking breaks) seems to work better when it's crunch time.

When I trained for the marathon, I learned that the rest periods were actually the times that prepared me for 26.2 miles -

Because the times I ran the long runs, I was actually breaking down my body - a body that couldn't run that many miles..

..then, resting allowed my body to re-engineer itself into a body that COULD run that many!

Up to now the current Bill hasn't given such a presentation - you're re-building a Bill that can!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@jycmba ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... I am trying soooooooooooooooo hard to resist the temptation of sending that youtube to another ... with not particularly kind thoughts in mind. Virtue is like money - easier to spend than earn.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras ?? context?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
The reason to send - as criticism to another (a co-worker/manager). Other means of communicating have nor worked out, which is why I find this tempting.
Regarding spending virtue - the desire to do so.

I wish I could find a way to approach this person with a more positive - or neutral - opinion than I have today. It's a bit painful, watching someone repeatedly transform moderate challenges to that which cannot be done. So far, any advice or suggestion "encourages" this person to go further away from the original goal with more kindle to throw into the fire.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
You can't fill a full cup @rcayeras - it'll only waste your time and energy, and probably make a mess.

Sometimes people are only receptive to other ideas when life has cracked them open.

Otherwise they're quite happy in their little shells.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I am doing a Meetup tomorrow - 18 Ways to Inspire People.

I hope the recording works better than last time.

Maybe one of them will resonate with this person.

But, @jycmba is right. The person has got to want to change.

This is the marketer's challenge. To get people interested when they are not. To spark an interest.

Indeed ... people who come looking (want to change) are better prospects than people you went looking for.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I'll do my best to make it to that meetup. My work is also affected - it's not easy to ignore this issue.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

I will do my best to make a good recording to place here.

It's hard on an old man to speak, collect money, interact and record all at the same time.

I still haven't mastered breathing quite yet.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew You talk without breathing? wow . . . . . . .
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew - I'm looking fwd to the transporter technology and bridging the physical gap now that the digital divide is slowly closing.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
There's a character in Japan - Doraemon - who can already do that.

He can pull a door out of his pocket. Open the door and step in to any place that he wants.

When they are available, I will be in the front of the line.

Post 19 • IP   flag post
And you don't need a starship or the teleport technician . . . nice.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Well, we've seen communicators become real.. replicators aka 3D printers.. now we just need transporters and warp technology!

10 Star Trek Technologies that Came True
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It was only quantum data, and it was only ten feet, but hey...

Reliable quantum teleportation.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Rev - "One small step for man.."
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

Actually, today, shouldn't that be "one small step for women" ??

;o)

Happy International Women's Day!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I am looking forward to hear the recording due to timing issue. Thanks a lot for your time to record it.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
26000 25 25
destitute