BillBelew.com
Blogging

Developing a Healthy Blogging Rhythm470

Member dzflower453 private msg quote post Address this user
Do you guys feel that you allocate a specific amount of time to write and post and after that period is over, you start to become unproductive, so it is better to stop and come back to it?

Please feel free to share any habits you developed and noticed quality suffered when you deviated from them.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Too much work and information overloaded until lack of blogging time. In the end, I attempt to write down the theme and write on the blogging in one day for a week. Recently, thank God to register to writing.com and feel pressured to work on my blogging idea weekly. At least 3 posts a week. Now, it increases to 4 posts a week.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
I go beyond the specific amount of time and posts I pre-schedule each month. But I have four Blogs and I only set specifics for one of those Blogs and that's to post twice a week at a specific time each of those posts. For my other three Blogs, I post when I come up with an idea for a post at any time but only when I have the time to write the posts. Sometimes I start a post I want to write and share but then get sidetracked by other goals I want to finish on time and never finish some of the posts I started.

For instance, I have about a half dozen posts that I started and saved on my desktop's hard drive but, thanks to tax time and a Book Blog tour that is in the works, I haven't returned to them to finish and post.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dzflower453

At my home site ... BillBelew.com ... about 40 of my students EACH wrote a blog post on how they established their blogging rhythm. Too many links to go into here.

You can do to the site, click on blog and search blogging rhythm. You'll find their answer.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
When working with my clients on this issue I try to find when they like to right (daytime while kids are at school, weekends, evenings, etc.) and then try to develop a suitable process they can most easily follow. The winner seems to be writing down blog ideas during the week as thoughts come, then sitting down for an hour or two on Sunday evening and writing two, three, maybe four or five posts. Because WordPress easily allows you to schedule posts for future dates you can write all your post for a week (or longer) in one session. It is often easier to write two or three (or more) posts back to back when you are in the mood or have set aside the time, than it is to fit each one into your schedule as a separate exercise. Works for me, and many of my clients.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member AlyssaYoung private msg quote post Address this user
I think I am most productive with blogging if I write a bunch of posts during one sitting. It's hard for me to write one or two, then come back to it later.

I know I need to improve. I think allocating two days a week dedicated to writing and posting will prove better than my "whenever I feel like it" habit.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@AlyssaYoung Same here.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I have four Blogs and the only one that follows a routine is my first Blog where I schedule posts twice a week on the same day and time at least a month in advance. The other three Blogs I post anytime and that might mean once a month or more---no schedule and no routine.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I have 7 free wordpress blogs with different portfolio categories. After understanding about earning passive income for author blogging, I sign up for own domain and let the others dormant. Now, I attempt to schedule 3 posts per week. When there is more posts, I schedule posts.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
tienny

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I suggest you buy a domain name for at least one of those blogs to become more visible to search engines. Taking advantage of a free Wordpress blog may not be all that helpful to authors who probably need to have that registered domain name that will attract readers to that Blog.

It doesn't cost that much to buy a domain name for one Blog through Wordpress. Less than $20 annually, I think.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse I understand your goodwill. I intend to be more visible for my author platform rather than my freelance work. Because I want to quit from freelancing.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
THank you. A domain name might even enhance your freelancing.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse I am tired of freelancing due to not being able to do self protection and not earning much.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny there is nothing wrong with freelancing, if you are not making much money you need better clients who are prepared to pay more.

There are basically two ways to make money, freelancing.

1. Lots of clients for little money each
2. Few clients paying a premium each.

Sounds to me as if you need better clients.

Here is a link to an article I wrote way back in 2000 ... it was to do with web design but it might help

http://cyber-aspect.com/features/feature_article.asp?art=22
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Tienny, If you don't mind, what do you mean by self protection?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Steve Thank you for the link.

@Lloyd_Lofthouse I mean I do not want to be taken advantage anymore. It is wrong to take advantage of others. It is not wrong not to be taken advantage of.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
tienny,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that means someone hired you to write something and then didn't pay you what they promised.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Not writing. Doing other designing stuff. Some clients can be very cunning until my husband replied to his confront. And the client feels ashamed. Moreover, I am shy to ask for the payment for the work I have done. So I choose to complete the work and make my exit.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
I want to suggest you check out how Scarlet Rugers, an award winning book cover artist/designer, who lives and works in Australia.

http://booksat.scarlettrugers.com/

I used her book design agency for my third book and might use her again. She is very well organized so her clients would have trouble cheating her out of her fees.

I've never been to Australia so I've never met her. After I found her work, I wrote about her in a post and then discovered some of the authors I knew had used her for the covers on their books.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

My son does my art work for me.

He was an animator in Japan. Comic style is not his best. He does it for me to suit my personality.

He can do any style. I recommend him.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse Wow. I'll check her out. How does she organise?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@tienny You should always get paid before doing the work, at least the largest proportion at any rate.

I once designed a website for a Brisbane Hotel and never got paid, from that day to this, I always get paid with the majority of it being paid before I even start work.

Never, ever be afraid of asking for payment... everyone deserves to eat steak at least once per week.

Whenever you give someone a price, simply detail your payment terms underneath...

Our payment terms are:

*50% with order
*30% on acceptance of initial design
*20% on completion

Please note, the copyright and use-age rights remain with us, until full and final payment has been received.

Something along those lines... would be what I would include, off the top of my head... by including them, people will abide by them ... and getting paid is never really an issue then.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
tienny

I want to suggest that you ask her how she organizes her payment system. If I tried, I might not describe it accurately.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Lloyd_Lofthouse Thanks
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Steve Thank you. Some even has the cheek to give him and her free idea pitch because they were just a startup. The he was a retiree and the hers already work for so many years. This is upsetting. Does it mean the artists do not deserve their wages? The intern doctors are being paid. Many freelancers here are also facing the same problem. This is really upsetting. The government always want arts to flourish but hard to flourish. So two years ago, the government officer meet the freelancers. Many are not being paid by the company engaging them. So many leave arts industry because they need to feed their family.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@tienny I get those all of the time, just delete them or say sorry... you have your bills to pay and do not work for free... all you need to do is raise your prices and decide to work with better clients.

Let me give you a tip, write down every single question you are asked on a regular basis... all those hard questions you struggle to answer ... then write our an answer for each ...

Now you will feel better, you will always have an answer and best of all your attitude will change and you will find that you are rarely asked those questions anymore.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Steve Thanks for your tips. I am writing down how to respond to those people and some of your answers. Because I agree that we have bills to pay.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Recently, I get to know someone who shares about his recent business meeting. A famous singer approached him to be interviewed into his news. Shockingly, the singer wanted to be interviewed for free. Just because he is famous singer and will bring fortune to him. Isn't this like a big bully?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Member MarissaCMT private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, not sure if I am posting this question in the proper thread, but you all seem like solid authorities on blogging. So my question is: How many blogs should you have before you post them on your website? And what are the parameters? I am seeing about 400 words? And an informative title with image?

Anything else before I spread my wings and fly into the ether?

Thank you!!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@MarissaCMT

Glad to have you here, Marissa.

You should start publishing right off.

Don't wait till you get everything just right.

Write one... publish it now.

As for parameters ... I created this post on business blogging success by the numbers.

And this infographic ..

Post 30 • IP   flag post
28242 33 30
destitute